SteamVR / HTC Vive Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamVR / HTC Vive Linux Support

I was reading somewhere that the Vive will have some linux support day 1.... but I am reading here that SteamVR http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/ does not support list linux/SteamOS under System Requirements OS

Anyone have better clarification on this?

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/st...48158165700144
    "We are working on it but it's not ready yet."
    Trying to get more concrete information from Valve? Good luck.

SteamVR should somewhat work. You can install it on linux and lately there even appeared a binary for their vrcompositor that has been missing for the longest time on linux, but I have yet to see a single confirmation that the compositor actually works on linux.

As far as I know there is zero official information on the actual status of SteamVR on linux. Should it work, at least partially? Nobody can say... In the past, updates have regularly broken SteamVR or at least the oculus rift plugin on linux, so who knows at what times it works and how well it works then.

And oh yea, the actual Vive hardware drivers for sensors and stuff. Do they even exist on SteamVR for linux? I don't even know.

But it wouldn't matter much, because most VR applications are made with Unity and Unreal Engine and both of those only have support for SteamVR on Windows, not for SteamVR on linux. When will they change that? Who the hell knows.

Comment

Currently Windows seems to be the main target and that can only change if the middleware is working fine on Linux. I think it will take some time to fix the issues that early adopters are experiencing and the price for the needed hardware has to drop. For some simple 3d videos card boards and a smartphone should be enough but VR gaming with 90 fps needs very expensive GFX cards and SLI/CF does not work with Linux - so you can't upgrade so easyly. Maybe simple games for a PS4 are enough to satisfy VR beginners, time will tell.

Comment

Kano Yeah you deff since be right about needing more middleware for linux for VR to be workable.

IMO the hard price that needs to drop the most are the video cards. The VR systems are expensive but I dont see that as the biggest barrier.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the link haagch

Comment

Working...
            X