Radeon/AMDGPU Firmware Binary Blobs Updated, Polaris Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

When the package maintainer quits the job or goes to long holiday, then gentoo users will have many points to use the drivers from manufacturer sites.
    Or better yet, assign a new maintainer.....

Comment

Sure people have better things to do than do things that can be done easily other ways.
      Seriously? Obviously there is no sense I can make to you, since you've obviously lost all manner of sense.

Comment

Seriously, in Debian they could have up to date mesa packages instead of using resources to graphics driver packaging. Sure in gentoo too is some other more important work to do.

You have used the forum since 2007 and still are writing: "since you've obviously lost all manner of senseÎ…. No manners at all.
        All your doing is making a very strong argument for why not to use Debian. There is nothing more important than package management.

Comment

Sure there are, for example working display drivers in debian and its derivates. For nvidia you will get the driver from nvidia site and for amd you will find them in the kernel.

You're just strengthening the argument to never use Debian.

Comment

That argument does not matter, debian is way more popular than gentoo.

debian position 2.
            gentoo position 48.
            Who cares? So what, Windows has thousands of times more users than both. Nobody would argue that windows is better than either of them. How many idiots don't matter.

Comment

Distrowatch meter is based on interest, not the amount of users. So my comments in some hidden forum have no meaning if debian is popular or not. But you look so bad, can not even edit what you write.
              You go right ahead and break package management all you want, that's all on you.

Comment

I'm sure AMD will make it happen sometime (soon I hope), atm everyone is getting the standard mesa/fglrx drivers and then committing OS suicide! Except for those few series of AMD cards that apparently run flawless with the driver. Unfortunately my 390x does not enjoy the current crop of AMD drivers in existence. I should make a youtube video showing off EXACTLY what I mean... (once I get my card back from RMA due to overheating issues)

Comment

That argument does not matter, debian is way more popular than gentoo.

debian position 2.
                  gentoo position 48.
                  On other hand it is silly to assume each and every Linux user got something to do with distrowatch. It means their ratings are quite random and possibly skewed thing, which may or may not reflect realistic state of things. I doubt Gentoo is #48 for the real, it probably a bit more popular than that and its just Gentoo users who do not give a fuck about distrowatch instead.

Comment

With nvidia driver from nvidia site, you will not break your package management in any popular distro. Nvidia implements kernel and xorg changes fast.
                    Actually, yes you will since you're adding files to a part of your filesystem that is managed by the package manager that the package manager doesn't know about. File collisions arent unlikely when you do this.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I have never seen such a thing in Gentoo.

If a Gentoo user wants to safely remove a package from the system:
                      1. Remove something from /var/lib/portage/world
                      Why manipulating by hand, when portage can do this for you? 'emerge -C' is what you want to use.

Comment

Working...
                      X