No announcement yet.

AMD Representative Says Their Vulkan Linux Driver Will Be Here Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a broad range of support! What are the chances Evergreen/PALM support sneaks into this driver? I guess that would imply adding Evergreen support to AMDGPU or vulkan support to r600g?

Comment

It's harder than that, unfortunately. The Vulkan / OpenCL / OpenGL drivers are from Catalyst and they don't have pre-GCN support either.

I'm not sure whether it's practical to support Vulkan on pre-GCN hardware -- Mantle definitely required GCN or equivalent functionality (things like shader programs able to directly access memory via pointers rather than HW descriptors) but not sure if that carried across to Vulkan.
      Test signature

Comment

Amdgpu OpenCL packages conflicts with ocl-icd-libopencl1 package, installation fails until later package is removed.
        Amdgpu kernel module fails to build for linux 3.19.0-56.

Going to update my kernel to 4.2 and try again.

Comment

Yep i was thinking my E2-1800 has a GCN gpu but that isn't the case.. its TeraScale 2 (VLIW5) ... so may or may not ever get Vulkan but if it does it will probably be on the radeon/r600g driver.

Comment

leonmaxx, I believe the initial testing has just been on Ubuntu 14.04.4 for now, there'll probably be some tweaking needed for other versions. Thanks for the feedback.

Did you get ocl-icd-libopencl1 from installing beignet, an NVidia driver, or something else ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              Yep i was thinking my E2-1800 has a GCN gpu but that isn't the case.. its TeraScale 2 (VLIW5) ... so may or may not ever get Vulkan but if it does it will probably be on the radeon/r600g driver.
              Yep... IIRC the Ontario/Zacate APU had a Cedar GPU on-chip.
              Test signature

Comment

Awesome, looks like it's finally time for me to do a real install of Linux instead of virtual. Hopefully soonish if not now the Opencl fixes from the Windows 16.3 hotfix driver makes it into AMDGPU. My Fury X's are reaching unoverclocked 980ti levels of performance in FAH (Windows). Sorry couldn't resist the feedback they are that good.
                I wonder if these are/will be whitelisted by FAH under linux. No I don't expect an anwer for that I wouldn't get one their either or that it's even being tested.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Good question. I'll let the FAH folks know about the driver. Not sure how whitelisting works for FAH.

EDIT - looks like whitelisting is done on the basis of PCI VendorID / DeviceID so new driver shouldn't change anything. The current whitelist only contains one entry for Fiji, does that match your info from lspci -vv ?

0x1002:0x7300:1:5:Fiji XT [Radeon R9 Fury X]

(btw the whitelist is at the first link below... if the third and fourth entries are blank/null/zero that's a blacklist entry, if they contain anything else it's a whitelist entry... details in the second link below)

https://fah.stanford.edu/projects/FA...ormatOfGPUsTxt
                  Last edited by bridgman; 18 March 2016, 07:11 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    leonmaxx, I believe the initial testing has just been on Ubuntu 14.04.4 for now, there'll probably be some tweaking needed for other versions. Thanks for the feedback.
                    I updated kernel to 4.2.0-34, and driver installed and working on my R9 Fury.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Did you get ocl-icd-libopencl1 from installing beignet, an NVidia driver, or something else ?
                    It's installed as a dependency of Wine (1.8 from ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa).

Comment

vulkaninfo triess to load 32-bit vulkan ICD and fails:
                      Code:
                      ===========
                      VULKAN INFO
                      ===========

Vulkan API Version: 1.0.5

INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_object_tracker.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_mem_tracker.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_threading.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_image.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_param_checker.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_api_dump.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_draw_state.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_unique_objects.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_screenshot.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_swapchain.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_device_limits.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/explicit_layer.d/VkLayer_vktrace_layer.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json, version "1.0.0"
                      INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file /etc/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd32.json, version "1.0.0"
                      WARNING: [loader] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/amdvlk32.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
                      ERROR: [loader] Code 0 : ICD ignored: failed to CreateInstance and find entrypoints with ICD
                      /home/jeremy/Development/LunarG/Vulkan/LinuxSDK/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers/demos/vulkaninfo.c:699: failed with VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Comment

Working...
                      X