RadeonSI Gallium3D Is Competing Remarkably Well For Valve's Dota 2 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gallium3D Is Competing Remarkably Well For Valve's Dota 2 On Linux

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D Is Competing Remarkably Well For Valve's Dota 2 On Linux

When running Valve's Dota 2 game on Linux and using the Linux 4.5 kernel and Mesa 11.2, the performance of the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver with Radeon and AMDGPU DRM drivers is performing remarkably well compared to the proprietary AMD Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if maybe CPU overhead became the problem at higher resolutions?

Comment

seems reasonable that that would be the case... hopefully it will matter less and less as vulkan comes into use.

Also, these results make me feel a bit better about waiting for ZEN and Polaris for my next desktop upgrade...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I wonder if maybe CPU overhead became the problem at higher resolutions?
        I think ineficient use of memorer bandwith is more likely the cause

Comment

Possibly shader compiler efficiency as well -- higher resolution = more instances of fragment shader per frame.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Possibly shader compiler efficiency as well -- higher resolution = more instances of fragment shader per frame.
            I think the shader compiler efficiency is the main factor.

The CPU overhead is usually measurable at low resolutions, not high resolutions.

Comment

NIce results.

Comment

At 4K, Dota 2 is faster across the board with all of the tested AMD GCN GPUs on these Linux drivers.
                I didn't understand this. What is Dota 2 compared with?

Comment

Nice, i payed for Phoronix premium, and I don't see graphs...
                  I use AdBlock and Privacy Badger, and I have them enabled for all sites w/o exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                    I didn't understand this. What is Dota 2 compared with?
                    I think that sentence is a continuation from the one below the previous graph, ie it's saying "Dota 2 is faster across the board... with closed source drivers".
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X