AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redook View Post
    I noticed a very high CPU usage when using gl output in mplayer, and other opengl apps for that matter, which I think sometimes causes small pauses. Strange flickering when in fullscreen mode is also present when I try to bring up gmplayer menu.

I've tried with nopat option but the cpu usage is still very high, depending on the video size.

I'm beginning to remember problems I had with drivers when I had 9550.

EDIT: I've tried 8.7 and it also has high cpu usage, can somebody tell me if this is normal behaviour? When I had nvidia card I used x11 output (now it doesn't scale in fullscreen which renders it useless) so I have no comparision.
    gl output has always high cpu usage... you should use xv instead...

Comment

• Originally posted by Vighy View Post
      gl output has always high cpu usage... you should use xv instead...
      Actually I get similar results with xv and gl in my 3850. And (in my case) both suffer from micro stutters when watching some HD videos. On the other hand x11 is always smooth, and the cpu usage is not that high. For example (watching a fragment of the HD 1080p Watchmen trailer .mov):

Also it's funny that only with x11 all the cores work. Anyway, even by adding all the cores the result is not much higher than with xv or gl.

So I'll stick with x11

(edit) Similar results with a HD 720p Ratatouille fragment:

Last edited by Fran; 13 September 2008, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• ATI's Catalyst driver roadmap en desktop software roadmap

Just came across an rather interesting page containing something that looks like ATI's Catalyst driver roadmap en desktop software roadmap.

If this is to be the case i'll be extremely happy with my current choice of hardware for my MythBuntu (MythTV) system...

Comment

• Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
          Just came across an rather interesting page containing something that looks like ATI's Catalyst driver roadmap en desktop software roadmap.

If this is to be the case i'll be extremely happy with my current choice of hardware for my MythBuntu (MythTV) system...
          (Assuming you are referring to the "protected content" thing,) the roadmap says "OEM only", which makes me feel kinda uncomfortable...
          Well, at least it'll work on _some_ Linux distros then, that's at least a step

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
            (Assuming you are referring to the "protected content" thing,) the roadmap says "OEM only", which makes me feel kinda uncomfortable...
            Well, at least it'll work on _some_ Linux distros then, that's at least a step
            Cyberlink made a PowerDVD for Linux, and it was nice to have that hacked up and working on my install while I waited for the OSS players to get to where they needed to be.

OEM-Only is another way of saying 'hack on me'. My read is that they don't mind you taking it or playing with it, they just don't want you tying up the tech support 800 number.

Comment

• OEM is just fine for me

Oem is just fine for me... was it ever different on linux? AMD is going in the right direction for me

Comment

• Catalyst 8.8

Personally I'm very happy with ths release. Everything works as I need it to.

I don't use WINE so can't comment on what people are reporting there.

IRT, the ubuntu crash on logout issue. I trace this to the power management applet in gnome so no more dirty logouts for me :-).

TORCS has acceptable performance and I don't see any major issues aside from some itermittent corruption of the CPU scaling applet. All in all a reasonable effort.

Hardware specs.
                Panasonic 190B (DVI) Benq FP783(D-SUB) 2560x1024
                ATI Radeon 9600 PRO (AGP)
                2.4 GB RAM
                Athlon 64 3000+

This setup works well for my needs so would like to keep it going for a while yet. FGLRX is the ONLY driver I've been able to get working so I have to ask that my hardware remains supported bythe drivers. AMD developers, I'm looking at you!

Comment

• well .. i have many issues..

i run xorg 1.4.2 on kernel 2.6.26 and every minute or so my system completly hangs for about a second, rendering most tasks next to impossible.

i found that the process to blame is X; the problems dont happen unless i run 8.8. I *would* run another catalyst, but 8.8 seems to be the only one to compile right under 2.6.26.

Other than that, 8.8 also breaks WINE here, full screen games just give me a giberish screen when they load. Again, other drivers, fine.

Comment

• do you have tried the nopat kernel option?

Comment

• Originally posted by tmpdir View Post

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/ATI_...dmap/6045.html
                      I'm assuming the column titles on the release dates table are meant for internal use - I haven't heard anything about 8.53, but it's supposed to be "generally available" as of September 3. It also lists 8.52 as being in "general availability" at the end of July, but Catalyst 8.8 was released about 3 weeks later.

...I'd be happy to try prerelease fglrx drivers *hint hint*

Comment

Working...
                      X