X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by hahahafr View Post

It is not stupid. It's important because why couldn't we access the VHDL code and the layout a the silicon ? We can access the kernel code, it's engineering design as well. Is hardware design special ?
    They WANT to be special.

- EDA mafia controls the "standards" (pay pay pay) and uses prioprietary and on purpose very messy to RE that makes OOXML situation a kid's play. These companies control best high-end and expensive software used by these big companies, despite some tools are developed in-house. ntel has money to develop even their own developers, they absurdly gigantic!

- Manufacturing proccess are massively glorified, secretive and proprietary. Few ones have the resources to improve integration and other difficult stuff.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

- The STUPID separation of electronics and computation: They are essentially the same! To me is as stupid as needing both a psychologist and a psychiatrist, and I hope all three will someday become obsolete by advances in neuroscience.

- Lack of efficient, low cost and robust low scale manufacturing.

Leave a comment:

• hahahafr
    replied
    Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

Yes! And why should we need to deal with black boxes? I want to know what is going on, if they want to be really Linux friendly make your hardware design open. I want VHDL(Verilog) code and the layout at silicon level.

Sarcasm aside, if firmware would be such a big deal for closed hardware they would simply embed a small rom on the pcb and load it - no need for firmware and some people of the open source community would be happy even though is is the very same. This is the reason why the firmware argument for closed hardware is very stupid in my opinion.
    It is not stupid. It's important because why couldn't we access the VHDL code and the layout a the silicon ? We can access the kernel code, it's engineering design as well. Is hardware design special ?

Leave a comment:

• Namenlos
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    […]Are we getting dumb about this fake Open Source disguising? If AMD wants to be really Linux friendly, make your firmware Open. Please contribute to OpenRadeonBios or make your own one.

Download OpenRadeonBIOS for free. Open Source Video ROM implementation for AMD Radeon grafics cards. Open Source Video ROM implementation for AMD Radeon grafics cards.

Will we need to deal with firmware blobs? I don't see it as pragmatic, but a trap that hides potential improvements, fixes and may have potential security issues.

Yes! And why should we need to deal with black boxes? I want to know what is going on, if they want to be really Linux friendly make your hardware design open. I want VHDL(Verilog) code and the layout at silicon level.

Sarcasm aside, if firmware would be such a big deal for closed hardware they would simply embed a small rom on the pcb and load it - no need for firmware and some people of the open source community would be happy even though is is the very same. This is the reason why the firmware argument for closed hardware is very stupid in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• jf33
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    ever heard of page flipping?
    I don't get your point. What I wanted to say is, when you have a monitor with 120 Hz and a gpu which can render 59 fps and you have triple buffering and vsync enabled, you will get - guess what - 59 fps on average. More specifically you get 29 images displayed with an interval of 16,667 ms followed by 1 image which shows up 25 ms after its predecessor. Then again 29 frames with 16,667 ms and one with 25 ms, and so on. The only advantage of freesync is that you get 59 fps with all frames having the same length (plus you save the memory for the second backbuffer, of course). Page flipping has nothing to do with this.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by jf33 View Post
    Ever heard of triple buffering?
    ever heard of page flipping?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    STUTTERING with V-Sync OFF:
    When frame rate is too low and you perceive it, usually bellow 30 fps.

TEARING with V-Sync OFF:
    EVERYTIME and ONLY when game frame rate goes ABOVE display refresh rate.
    with vsync off you see 60fps of random garbage. sometimes it is a full frame, sometimes it is parts of two frames. you still can't see more than 60 fps, so it is good only for imaginary numbers, not for experience
    If your rig is powerful enough to game ALWAYS be above 30 fps and game frame rate NEVER goes above display refresh rate, your shouldn't need G-Sync of FreeSync.
    wrong, 59fps is much better than 30
    So, it might be a good idea have a 144Hz display and make sure that game graphics settings are set in such a way that game doesn't go bellow 30-40 fps and doesn't go above 144 fps.
    good idea is to have 144hz monitor with standard freesync support(which costs nothing, since implemented in firmware) and videocard from vendor which supplies linux driver.(nvidia windows blob is not linux driver)

Leave a comment:

• jf33
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    with card powerful enough to render at 59 fps 120hz monitor will draw every third frame i.e. 40 fps
    Ever heard of triple buffering?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by jf33 View Post
    Think of what would happen if you had a monitor with an infinitely high refresh rate.
    it will consume infinite power. next question

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Seeing how unpopular both G-sync and Freesync are even on Windows, I wouldn't keep my hopes up. It seems to me more people prefer 120Hz+ monitors instead, since they effectively yield the same results
    wrong, but not suprisingly
    with card powerful enough to render at 59 fps 120hz monitor will draw every third frame i.e. 40 fps
    freesync monitor will draw 59 fps
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    while not being restricted by hardware
    having monitor without freesync is being restricted by hardware. btw, most non-4k freesync monitors are 144hz
    Last edited by pal666; 12 February 2016, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    Is this going to provide Freesync support for Linux? Nvidia has had G-sync "available" on Linux for about a year now and it would be nice to see AMD implement the standard Freesync on a platform other than Windows.
    fixed qotes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X