AMD Is Looking At A Interoperability Interface For OpenCL Outside Of Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Looking At A Interoperability Interface For OpenCL Outside Of Mesa

Phoronix: AMD Is Looking At A Interoperability Interface For OpenCL Outside Of Mesa

AMD's Marek Olšák has begun exploring an interoperability interface for OpenGL within Mesa and having a non-Mesa OpenCL implementation (not Clover OpenCL Gallium3D)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I guess that does make some sense. We don't have all of the inside information, but we already knew AMD was eventually going to release a new OpenCL 2.1 implementation which will get open sourced at some point. This may well be the ground work, or work that is somehow related.
    Last edited by duby229; 06 February 2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Well, I guess that does make some sense. We don't have all of the inside information, but we already knew AMD was eventually going to release a new OpenCL 2.1 implementation which will get open sourced at some point. This may well be the ground work, or work that is somehow related.
      Yep, I also think so. It's a bit sad that clover will not have a good OpenCL 1.2 support, it would be nice for my Trinity APU. However since they are opensourcing their OpenCL 2.1 (It will not support Northen Island), it would be a waist of resources.

Comment

I been waiting on something like this for the new OpenCL that will work with AMDGPU.
        I think we might see things after vulkan comes about.
        I don't know if there is much to comment on since AMD already informed us about it.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Amd should use their resources to keep up the crimson driver up to date. Vlilo from arch linux have done patches for kernel 4.4 but support for xorg 1.18 can not be done, because we have only binaries for that part. Easiest way for amd is to release all source code for crimson. Many users are professional programmers and can fix soffware. It looks really bad if you compare to nvidia propieritary driver that works with latest kernel and xorg without patching,
          Releasing source code for crimson ain't going to happen, if you want an open driver then use the open source driver.
          I think they already have support for xorg 1.18 internally but there used to be almost 3 months before things get released.
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's an old link but at least the picture explains why it takes time to see xorg support in the wild for catalyst.
          The problem of unsynchronised kernel/xorg releases hopefully won't be a problem any more with AMDGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Amd should use their resources to keep up the crimson driver up to date.
            s/crimson/mesa/

Comment

Working...
            X