AMDGPU Linux Gaming Tests With P-State vs. CPUFreq Scaling Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux Gaming Tests With P-State vs. CPUFreq Scaling Drivers

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Gaming Tests With P-State vs. CPUFreq Scaling Drivers

The latest batch of open-source Linux benchmarks to share this weekend are doing some P-State and CPUFreq scaling driver benchmarks and also trying each driver's different CPU scaling governor options when using the AMD Radeon R9 285 graphics card on the AMDGPU kernel driver of Linux 4.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael any chance that you'll provide a similar benchmark (powersafe vs performance vs ondemand) for AMD CPU in future?

Comment

How much power was used in each test? I'd be interesting to know if the powersave options actually increased play time on a laptop running on battery for instance

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
        Michael any chance that you'll provide a similar benchmark (powersafe vs performance vs ondemand) for AMD CPU in future?
        Once Zen is out I'll probably do some CPUfreq tests if Zen lives up to the hype.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          How much power was used in each test? I'd be interesting to know if the powersave options actually increased play time on a laptop running on battery for instance
          I have some of those numbers in another one of my CPUfreq vs. Pstate articles, but with only having one WattsUp Pro that's often being used, it's not done in all the CPU scaling driver/governor articles.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Once Zen is out I'll probably do some CPUfreq tests if Zen lives up to the hype.
            Great info, thanks

Comment

Looks like P-State performance is probably the best default setting for best overall performance.

Comment

Working...
              X