Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forcing The R9 Fury's Performance State For Better AMDGPU Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BenPope
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    I think was "bad news"; probably unrelated.
    Last edited by BenPope; 28 January 2016, 10:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    According to: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...390#post848390

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Bad news... turned out not to be clock related, just a leftover environment variable in .bashrc forcing the compute runtime to use a copy shader for data transfers instead of SDMA. With the environment variable removed the card is running at full speed again.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by magika View Post
    So lets reiterate. In the past the bane of AMD were shitty drivers, now both drivers and (expensive) hardware are both shitty. Ain't that right?
    Both drivers have "challenges" (one being phased out and the other being constantly "getting there"). The hardware is probably ok, as far as a piece of hardware without proper drivers can be.

Leave a comment:

• BenPope
    replied
    Originally posted by magika View Post
    So lets reiterate. In the past the bane of AMD were shitty drivers, now both drivers and (expensive) hardware are both shitty. Ain't that right?
    Only if you selectively ignore the progress that's been made by discounting the benchmarks and other information that is contrary to your predetermined view of the world.

It's unfortunate that these tests are not necessarily indicative of the current state of affairs, but if you're paying attention there are efforts to resolve that.

Leave a comment:

• Brutalix
    replied
    Probably the driver, not hardware, i have the same card in my windows computer, works flawlessly there.

Leave a comment:

• magika
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by BenPope View Post
    If you have suggestions for a run that only has freely available benchmarks, I'll run it too. My native screen res is odd at 3440x1440, but I'm happy to change it if it helps, and of course, is possible.
    You can run any of my result files. When it tries to isntall any of the Steam-using tests, it will just fail and continue. When it asks you if you want to try reinstalling the tests, just say no and it will skip over them when benchmarking.

Leave a comment:

• BenPope
    replied
    We don't have any overlaps on these benchmarks, but mine has been performing much better: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...HA-BPPADOKAN35

On the weekend I'll try your kernel and I'll also update my build and give that a go.

Last time I tried passing the kernel parameter I got bad results, instead I just changed the default in the source before building. Hopefully we can shed some light.

If you have suggestions for a run that only has freely available benchmarks, I'll run it too. My native screen res is odd at 3440x1440, but I'm happy to change it if it helps, and of course, is possible.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I think it goes without saying we'll all stay clear of the particular card you bought
    Yeah, I get it, there may be something funny in the BIOS of this model.
    Yep and other person that just commented on this thread in having the same issue has this same model as well.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    The guy clearly asked if YOU got in contact with AMD, not the other way around...
    In some other threads or Twitter, there seemed to be the indication some thought the other way around and here he seems to think for AMD that they can easily do such an exchange.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X