A Linux 4.5-rc1 Kernel With AMDGPU PowerPlay Enabled For Ubuntu Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Linux 4.5-rc1 Kernel With AMDGPU PowerPlay Enabled For Ubuntu Systems

Phoronix: A Linux 4.5-rc1 Kernel With AMDGPU PowerPlay Enabled For Ubuntu Systems

Here's a fresh kernel spin of the brand new Linux 4.5-rc1 kernel with the latest AMDGPU PowerPlay bits enabled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think we have a config option to disable radeon support for CIK yet, so for now you'll probably need to blacklist radeon to use amdgpu on CIK.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I don't think we have a config option to disable radeon support for CIK yet, so for now you'll probably need to blacklist radeon to use amdgpu on CIK.
      Is this needed even if you tell X via xorg.conf to just use amdgpu under the driver section?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Is this needed even if you tell X via xorg.conf to just use amdgpu under the driver section?
        Yes. The kernel drivers load before X starts.

Comment

I had never success with amdgpu on my kaveri chip. I have radeon blacklisted, firmware is there and is loaded but as soon as x want to start, all is black and tons of errors in dmesg, which i don't remember. I had created a xorg.conf where i put amdgpu as ddx driver. I don't know, what i'm doing wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
            I had never success with amdgpu on my kaveri chip. I have radeon blacklisted, firmware is there and is loaded but as soon as x want to start, all is black and tons of errors in dmesg, which i don't remember. I had created a xorg.conf where i put amdgpu as ddx driver. I don't know, what i'm doing wrong here.
            Kaveri is pre-Tonga chip, as long as I remember. It should be supported quite well by the radeon driver.

Comment

Damn it!

I joust bought a Fiji based card, knowing that Linux would be a bit bumpy at start, had the same problem when I bought my previous HD7950 which I'm selling right now. My new 4K LCD needs some serious pixelpusher
              I use ElementaryOS which is basically Ubuntu 14.04 and I like it for being solid. 14.04 isn't excatly new, so i fetched the Ubuntu 15.10 libdrm, xorg Stack and Mesa from trusty proposed repository, a linux-firmware package from 16.04 and the kernel from this post, but after a reboot my desktop is as sluggish as before
              Kernel Log looks good, amdgpu drm driver is loaded, powerplay option is applied, but after reading Xorg.log I noticed xorg using the modeset driver instead of ati/radeon DDX which I expected to be the right one. How many years have passed since I last tried to build a working xorg.conf ? *mumble mumble*

Any specific version of libdrm or other components needed I should care for?

Edit:
              Just booted stock Ubuntu 16.04 live from USB for curiosity. Screen rendering is a -lot- faster then what I get even without the powerplay patched kernel. ElementaryOS, we've got to talk.
              Last edited by Hibbelharry; 25 January 2016, 07:12 PM.

Comment

after trying and failing miserably on previous attempts, I might wait for the 16.04 final before trying again!

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                  Damn it!

I joust bought a Fiji based card, knowing that Linux would be a bit bumpy at start, had the same problem when I bought my previous HD7950 which I'm selling right now. My new 4K LCD needs some serious pixelpusher
                  I use ElementaryOS which is basically Ubuntu 14.04 and I like it for being solid. 14.04 isn't excatly new, so i fetched the Ubuntu 15.10 libdrm, xorg Stack and Mesa from trusty proposed repository, a linux-firmware package from 16.04 and the kernel from this post
                  what you did put together there is called FrankensteinOS. Something like this is never supposed to work properly. Do not mix packages from different versions. They were not build against each other. No wonder it did not work. If it would be that easy to update your graphics stack then why do you think the ubuntu guys spent several months to put all the pieces together for a new buntu version?
                  If you want to use cutting edge hardware you need a rolling distro. Ubuntu 16.04 beta might be ok for now, but will be out of date soon enough. Then you will again add random ppas and destabilize your system.
                  Seriously - go for somethin Arch based or OpenSuse Tumbleweed (my choice) or even Fedora, since they do some testing before regularily pushing new graphics stack updates.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Kaveri is pre-Tonga chip, as long as I remember. It should be supported quite well by the radeon driver.
                    I know that, but in theory it should even work with amdgpu as one can read everywhere like here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Amdgpu
                    My goal was only to test, if amdgpu can work with my chip.

Comment

Working...
                    X