Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Stoney APUs Bring ETC2 Open-Source Driver Support

Phoronix: AMD Stoney APUs Bring ETC2 Open-Source Driver Support

AMD's upcoming "Stoney" APUs has support for ETC2 texture compression...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good work. This ETC2 currently seems to be used more in embedded devices, but good if it find its way to the desktop side. Supporting it will help to spread this unpatented algorithm.
    So it seems future GPUs/APUs will support this (>=STONEY). Always good to have some alternatives. The S3TC situation was unpleasant enough in the past years. I'm just a bit undecided about lossy compression algorithms. You can save a lot of space / bandwidth with lossy compression, but, it's lossy. Does anybody know if this has some parameters of how strong the compression is to be? As long as it is optical lossless I wouldn't mind some "lost" bytes.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Good work. This ETC2 currently seems to be used more in embedded devices, but good if it find its way to the desktop side.
      I actually think Stoney might be for tablets/embedded use. I'm fairly certain you'll never see it in a desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        ... Stoney ... I'm fairly certain you'll never see it in a desktop.
        The desktop version is named Bristol Ridge.

Comment

Actually Bristol Ridge is Carrizo-sized, while Stoney Ridge is smaller.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Actually Bristol Ridge is Carrizo-sized, while Stoney Ridge is smaller.
            ???
            With "sized" you mean the area (square mm) of the die?
            What is left out in Stoney Ridge compared to Bristol Ridge?
            Or is it the 28 nm <> 14 nm thing?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
              ???
              With "sized" you mean the area (square mm) of the die?
              What is left out in Stoney Ridge compared to Bristol Ridge?
              Or is it the 28 nm <> 14 nm thing?

From what I gather (beware, talking out of my hat past this point), Bristol Ridge is a follow up to Carrizo, with at least DD4 added on. 2 modules, 4 cores, likely 512 GPU stream processors. Stoney Ridge is a 'Cat APU' replacement : 1 module, 2 cores, and 192 GPU stream processors. Please take that with a huge heaping grain of salt. Both should be 28nm.
              Last edited by Twysock; 26 January 2016, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X