Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do/can I use AMDGPU with Kabini/Temash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do/can I use AMDGPU with Kabini/Temash?

I have a 2-in-1 with an AMD A6-1450 APU and a Radeon HD 8250/8280G (1002:983d:103c:21a8). Various things in Linux say I have a Kabini chipset, but some things online point at Temash. Not sure if the chips types are different enough to matter for AMDGPU usage.

But should my laptop work with AMDGPU, how would I enable it? I've installed the xorg-server-amdgpu package, oibaf's PPA, and the latest drm-next daily kernel on Ubuntu 15.10. I have a graphics.conf that has Driver set to "amdgpu". I've also downloaded all the .bins for kabini from http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f..._ucode/kabini/ and put them into /lib/firmware/amdgpu. Xorg.log says "AMDGPU(0): amdgpu_device_initialize failed" and then it ends up loading radeon.

Is there anything I might be missing in that set-up process, or is my hardware just not compatible?

Kabini / Temash should behave the same way, the difference is fab/binning.

A default kernel build will enable radeon kernel driver for CI, not amdgpu. That seems to be the only obvious thing you are missing. I believe amdgpu builds without CI support unless you set the DRM_AMDGPU_CIK config option. IIRC you need to blacklist the radeon driver as well.

Here's the usual public service message - amdgpu is only really tested on VI and up, radeon is the recommended driver for CIK, blah blah blah...
    Test signature

Comment

Working...
    X