Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Software Crimson 15.12 For Linux Released

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Software Crimson 15.12 For Linux Released

Following the release of Radeon Software Crimson 15.12 for Windows, Radeon Technologies Group has now released Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael! Go to bed, go have a beer, stop posting AMD sadness at 10:30 on a Friday night!

Comment

Crimson Edition 16.xx should be much more interesting when it finally gets around to using the AMDGPU kernel driver
      I have a GCN 1.1 GPU hawai R9 290. So I guess I will not be able to use that either with proprietary or open source drivers. What kind of support can I expect going forward?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        I have a GCN 1.1 GPU hawai R9 290. So I guess I will not be able to use that either with proprietary or open source drivers. What kind of support can I expect going forward?
        Who knows?
        Since AMD just dropped support for pre GCN cards and there's normally an 3 year cycle, i would guess that it should be supported by catalyst for at least the coming 3 years.
        But it's only speculations.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
          Michael! Go to bed, go have a beer, stop posting AMD sadness at 10:30 on a Friday night!
          Shush. Let him be.

Comment

Good question. I fear the future for my R9 390, it's in the same boat as your card despite being "current" generation. RadeonSI is still too premature in it's current state (despite all the years I've been waiting), I can't even get 25% of this card's capability in all my games with the exception of Source-based games. Catalyst/Crimson is currently my only hope for getting near 50% of the card's performance for some of the titles.

I really hope it doesn't get dropped from the proprietary driver in 2016...

Comment

Wait for dungeon. He'll explain you how stellar the support for your card will be after 2020 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                and there's normally an 3 year cycle
                Where do you count this from? The first release of a card or when the last one was manufactured?

Comment

When using the OSS stack, it doesn't really matter if using the amdgpu or radeon kernel driver resp. the amdgpu or the radeonsi xorg driver. The relevant parts (mesa) are identical.

On the proprietary front, bridgman said, if I recall correctly, that they won't remove pre-GCN-1.2 support from the proprietary driver (correct me if I'm wrong). So it might be possible - with some hacking - to get your card going with amdgpu + proprietary blob.

The main problem is: Linus does not allow different drivers for the same hardware inside the kernel. pre-GCN-1.2 is supported by the radeon kernel driver, thus amdgpu cannot officially support your card. If your distribution, however, was to patch GCN-1.0 and 1.1 support to libdrm, the amdgpu kernel- and xorg driver, then it might be possible to use the new, yet to be released proprietary blob.

Comment

Ok, chanelog not always tells true...

So anyone testing it?

Brings any improve?

Maybe new xorg support?

Comment

Working...
                    X