Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xpris View Post
    Maybe new xorg support?
    In your dreams maybe. It's AMD. They'll support it when it gets into a stable Ubuntu release.

Comment

AMD can't afford to throw money into Linux drivers, my 7870ghz on Ubuntu 15.10 + kernel 4.2.0.25 + proprietary gives me a solid 50-80 fps in dying light... Tried to install these drivers on 16.04 but dkms is a piece of shit.

Comment

Considering DKMS has always been a dirty hack, I think your blaming the wrong foot for tripping. That 7870 will run fantastic on the OSS drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by BEZZiiE View Post
          AMD can't afford to throw money into Linux drivers, my 7870ghz on Ubuntu 15.10 + kernel 4.2.0.25 + proprietary gives me a solid 50-80 fps in dying light... Tried to install these drivers on 16.04 but dkms is a piece of shit.
          Oh c'mon! That isn't even released, yet!

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            I have a GCN 1.1 GPU hawai R9 290. So I guess I will not be able to use that either with proprietary or open source drivers.
            your guess is wrong on both accounts. guess better next time

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Wait for dungeon. He'll explain you how stellar the support for your card will be after 2020 or so.
              What is needed to be explained there? I guess people understand this amdgpu driver unification also means nothing but transition, on both opensource and fglrx models. R9 290 is and will continue to be supported by radeon driver, also according to history and previous Catalyst blob model it will be supported there till 2018. probably, so i expect AMD will maintain both blob paths (old and new model) during that transition.

That is how it was in last 13 years, and about year 2020. ünd after that, after should be VR era... of course politics might change even globally so someone mad might drop nukes here and there and broke everbodys plans

BTW, on first look i see there is Portal 2 profile in this 15.12 driver... so that game should be faster.
              Last edited by dungeon; 19 December 2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                ... also according to history and previous Catalyst blob model it will be supported there till 2018. probably, so i expect AMD will maintain both blob paths (old and new model) during that transition.
                This is the problem. I know both you and oleid mean well, but it's clear we have no idea what AMD plans. It is more likely our cards will be dropped due to AMDGPU as it's not sustainable in the Kernel like oleid said. Would it really hurt AMD to put an official stance on this? They give official stances to Windows users all the time. I'm not talking about some random forum post somewhere.

Meanwhile, the Crimson 15.12 release notes still list HD5000 and HD6000 series as supported and only Kernel 3.19 support (incorrect information!). Even an unpaid intern without coding experience can fix the goddamn release notes to reflect the appropriate information for the current driver. This year has been very bad for my hopes with AMD, I'm sincerely feeling more regret for buying this card with each passing day.

Comment

Well AMD never announce from where to where support will be, so you are right there is no official proven knowledge when support will be droped. But it had happened right and aprox every 3 years, so in 2006., 2009., 2012. and now in 2015. So it is same thing all those 13 years now, and always explination for dropping was peak dev job for those gen is reached so to leverage more resources on current and future gen development. That is actually true for any vendor Intel, nVidia and AMD... they all focusing so working mostly on current and future gen. nVidia drop support too and support just X/kernel because they don't support opensource, while AMD opensource drivers left that mostly to the community, etc...

When it comes to PR and writing release changelogs are also just sort of PR job, then AMD is worse on that i agree. In 15.11 driver there were something like 10 more perf profiles and they don't announce anything, they didn't even anonunce GL 4.5 support while Mesa drivers announce every part of it In the end it is same thing, just PR difference.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 19 December 2015, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I agree, their PR team is really bad. They need to hire new blood who are passionate about graphics, drivers and multi-platform support. It feels like their current team is doing the bare minimum to not get fired.

It just irks me so bad, how has it fallen to this level of support. My OpenGL Superbible book is written by AMD's Graham Sellers for goodness sake. So they definitely have talent on their hands.

Comment

Well they write drivers, devs does not do PR. I think even Bridgman once said AMD devs are actually not allowed to do PR without permission by contract.

Can i ask how many people here read Mesa changelogs?

And how many readed all those bugs pointed out there You see, it is fine to have human readable context but in reallity I don't think 1% people read that
                      Last edited by dungeon; 19 December 2015, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X