Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess what? Yet another disgruntled Fedora+ATI Customer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by energyman View Post
    no, I hate people who use pre-release software and then whine that some drivers don't work.
    Ok, I got it wrong... for a moment I thought you were blaming Fedora for a proprietary driver not working on it.

    BTW I found that the latest open source driver from Fedora's Koji should do basic modesetting with 4850.

    The package is built for Fedora 10 but it should work for Fedora 9 too I suppose.

    I found in this thread that the PCI ID for 4850 is 9442.

    Then I found this patch in Fedora CVS repo; as you can see there's:
    Code:
    + { PCI_CHIP_RV770_9442, PCI_CHIP_RV770_9442, RES_SHARED_VGA },
    So I think that installing the latest package from here should make the ATI Radeon 4850 and 4870 work (at least modesetting).

    Can someone please have a try?

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by energyman View Post
      no, I hate people who use pre-release software and then whine that some drivers don't work.


      And I still would like to know how do you handle several jdk/jre in fedora and switch on the fly.
      a) Someone has to try the newest stuff, otherwise we're all stuck with whatever the distros/hw manufacturers has for a QA department. What generated my original message is that I can't even do that, 'cause neither the closed-source nor the open-source drivers work. You HAVE to complain to let the manufacturers know that they could do better. Granted, AMD/ATI is far better than companies like Creative in terms of linux support, but they're not the best from the technical point of view (the NVIDIA closed-source drivers work).

      b) A simple script to mangle $PATH and set $JAVA_HOME. Not rocket science.

      Comment


      • #23
        a) maybe, but there is no good reason to base a whole distro on half finished stuff. Other distros are much better in that respect.

        b) but does it 'mangle' on the fly or do you have to relog/start a new term?

        java-config -L
        The following VMs are available for generation-2:
        1) Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.03 [blackdown-jdk-1.4.2]
        2) Sun 32bit JRE 1.6.0.07 [emul-linux-x86-java-1.6]
        *) Sun JDK 1.6.0.07 [sun-jdk-1.6]

        java -version
        java version "1.6.0_07"
        Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
        Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)

        a) maybe, but there is no good reason to base a whole distro on half finished stuff. Other distros are much better in that respect.

        b) but does it 'mangle' on the fly or do you have to relog/start a new term?

        java-config -L
        The following VMs are available for generation-2:
        1) Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.03 [blackdown-jdk-1.4.2]
        2) Sun 32bit JRE 1.6.0.07 [emul-linux-x86-java-1.6]
        *) Sun JDK 1.6.0.07 [sun-jdk-1.6]

        java -version
        java version "1.6.0_07"
        Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
        Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)

        java-config -s 1
        Now using blackdown-jdk-1.4.2 as your user JVM
        [email protected] ~ % java -version
        java version "1.4.2-03"
        Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.2-03)
        Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build Blackdown-1.4.2-03, mixed mode)

        java-config -s 3
        Now using sun-jdk-1.6 as your user JVM
        [email protected] ~ % java -version
        java version "1.6.0_07"
        Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
        Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by energyman View Post
          a) maybe, but there is no good reason to base a whole distro on half finished stuff. Other distros are much better in that respect.

          b) but does it 'mangle' on the fly or do you have to relog/start a new term?
          a) That's the whole point of Fedora! Some of us actually DON'T MIND THAT THEY SHIP BROKEN STUFF. Software doesn't magically heal itself (at least not yet), so someone has to let know the developers that the package is broken.

          The thing is that sometimes they screw up a little, sometimes they screw up BIG F******G TIME, that's something you have to live with if you like ANY distro. Hey, at least they didn't break OpenSSL to generate predictable keys (just kidding).

          By the way, I had to work with Gentoo for a year and I really liked it, specially the documentation. I'm not a fan of compiling and optimizing every single package of the system, though.

          b) On the fly, I yank the old $JAVA_HOME/bin expression from the path and put the new one in its place.

          Comment


          • #25
            then don't complain that the ati drivers don't work! If you use pre-alpha X you can not expect the ati-drivers to work! And the nvidia drivers are a bad example because:

            they replace big parts of X
            there are enough instances where nvidia was/is broken too!

            and the PATH yanking - not needed with gentoo. So on the java front it should be easier than fedora

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by energyman View Post
              then don't complain that the ati drivers don't work! If you use pre-alpha X you can not expect the ati-drivers to work! And the nvidia drivers are a bad example because:

              they replace big parts of X
              there are enough instances where nvidia was/is broken too!

              and the PATH yanking - not needed with gentoo. So on the java front it should be easier than fedora
              Why shouldn't I expect the drivers to work? My notebooks (a Dell and an Eee PC) have an Intel driver that works fantastic, and the NVIDIA drivers work too, and if I had an earlier ATI model, maybe the open source driver would work as well. Anyway, I get your point, I won't complain any further (at least here).

              Judging from the latest news, I guess that a broken Linux driver is the least of NVIDIA's concerns right now

              I'll check Gentoo's suppor for multiple JVMs. Most likely it can be ported to Fedora. Thanks for the tip.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by m4rgin4l View Post
                I'll check Gentoo's suppor for multiple JVMs. Most likely it can be ported to Fedora. Thanks for the tip.
                I think it's not needed. Check this page, paragraph 15.4:
                http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...S/sn-Java.html

                Code:
                system-switch-java
                does the trick.

                You can install it by with:
                Code:
                yum install system-switch-java
                and then you can find it in the System → Administration men?.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by panda84 View Post
                  I think it's not needed. Check this page, paragraph 15.4:
                  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...S/sn-Java.html

                  Code:
                  system-switch-java
                  does the trick.

                  You can install it by with:
                  Code:
                  yum install system-switch-java
                  and then you can find it in the System → Administration men?.
                  Cool, thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by m4rgin4l View Post
                    Why shouldn't I expect the drivers to work? My notebooks (a Dell and an Eee PC) have an Intel driver that works fantastic, and the NVIDIA drivers work too, and if I had an earlier ATI model, maybe the open source driver would work as well. Anyway, I get your point, I won't complain any further (at least here).

                    Judging from the latest news, I guess that a broken Linux driver is the least of NVIDIA's concerns right now

                    I'll check Gentoo's suppor for multiple JVMs. Most likely it can be ported to Fedora. Thanks for the tip.
                    because the intel driver is part of the X development. So the comaprism does not fit. And that the nvidia driver works is just luck. And it doesn't even work well for a lot of people

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (currently in alpha4) is set to be released on October 30th and most likely will use Xserver 1.5 (the latest post feature-freeze alpha uses 1.5RC). I don't know if Xorg 7.4/Xserver 1.5 will be declared stable by that time (who know up to this point), but I guess AMD/ATI will be "forced" to support the most popular distro out there.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X