Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance-Boosting HyperZ Getting Fixed Up For Open-Source Radeon Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance-Boosting HyperZ Getting Fixed Up For Open-Source Radeon Linux Drivers

Phoronix: Performance-Boosting HyperZ Getting Fixed Up For Open-Source Radeon Linux Drivers

HyperZ support in the open-source Radeon Gallium3D drivers has been a bumpy road to say the least but it looks like some more improvements are imminent...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ing-Radeon-G3D

Awesome!

Comment

Could this partly explain why 6950 (cayman) has been performing so poorly in Michael's tests?

Comment

Originally posted by fa5hion View Post
        Could this partly explain why 6950 (cayman) has been performing so poorly in Michael's tests?
        I doubt it. I think there is something else going on with the VLIW4 chips. I always just assumed that r600g was optimized for VLIW5 and then adapted to make the VLIW4 chips work. Of course that's just assumption on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by fa5hion View Post

Without looking at the details, I would say yes. The reason is that the z-buffer is nearly always needed and needs twice the bandwidth as other buffers (read-compare-write). Z-compression techniques like HyperZ can reduce this to a good amount. If you wanna know how z-compression works generally, I recommend reading this great article series from Fabian Giesen. Part 7 covers the Z-compression and the bandwidth problem

Comment

Originally posted by marek
            Silly Marketing Name
            LOL. It's not that bad as far as marketing names go.

Comment

Nice, thanks marek!

Comment

Patch added manually : compiling

EDIT : Be ready to recompile LLVM, mine was less than two week old and now a LLVM function don't have the correct numbers of arguments.
                Last edited by RavFX; 10 December 2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Note that this fixes hyperz for stencil. hyperz for depth has been enabled by default for a while.

Comment

Nice! Does this only apply to Cayman or does it also apply to other Northern Island chips? Or were they stable already? I have a 6870 in another machine, which is a Barts part.

Comment

Working...
                    X