Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R600 Gallium3D Lands Another OpenGL 4.3 Extension (Copy Image)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600 Gallium3D Lands Another OpenGL 4.3 Extension (Copy Image)

Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Lands Another OpenGL 4.3 Extension (Copy Image)

AMD's R600 Gallium3D driver just made it up to OpenGL 4.1 support (for the few select GPUs that provide the necessary capabilities), but things aren't stopping there with another OpenGL 4.3 extension now landing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So which GPUs will be able to use ARB_copy_image, now that the R600 driver supports it?

And does ayone know if Steam's "Prison Architect" game uses ARB_copy_image, please? I am asking because this (apparently) 2D and cartoony game seemed to run unnaturally slowly on my HD6450, and yet ran brilliantly on a laptop with hybrid Nvidia GeForce 920 graphics.

Comment

If you find the binary, you might be able to know that by running some commands on it:
      Which tools do you guys use? How do demangle c++ symbols do be able to pass it to profiler tools, such as opannotate? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
        So which GPUs will be able to use ARB_copy_image, now that the R600 driver supports it?
        All GPUs supported by r600.

Comment

Well, now I can try bioshock.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            If you find the binary, you might be able to know that by running some commands on it:
            https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...inary-on-linux
            I don't think that's going to work. For anything past GL1.1, generally most applications don't use the system linker (otherwise the game wouldn't launch on unsupported system and couldn't display an error message), but query the GL entrypoints at runtime, meaning any internal reference to glCopySubImage or whatever would just be tucked away in an anonymous function pointer somewhere in RAM. However, what you could do instead is run strings on it looking for "GL_ARB_copy_image", that would at least shed light on whether the game queries the functionality at all.

Comment

r600 and radeonsi are now only missing ARB_clear_texture to match nvc0, and i saw someone is already trying to port the code there over. array_of_arrays should be another pretty easy one to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                array_of_arrays should be another pretty easy one to complete.
                I guess we should expect a patch from you soon then? Having looked at some of the issues, I don't see a particularly easy way of implementing this... but perhaps you see something I don't?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                  And does ayone know if Steam's "Prison Architect" game uses ARB_copy_image, please? I am asking because this (apparently) 2D and cartoony game seemed to run unnaturally slowly on my HD6450, and yet ran brilliantly on a laptop with hybrid Nvidia GeForce 920 graphics.
                  Might use GL_NV_copy_image instead:
                  $ strings PrisonArchitect.x86_64 | grep copy_image
                  __GLeeLink_GL_NV_copy_image
                  _GLEE_NV_copy_image
                  _GLEE_GLX_NV_copy_image
                  __GLeeLink_GLX_NV_copy_image
                  GL_NV_copy_image
                  GLX_NV_copy_image
                  GLX_NV_copy_image
                  GL_NV_copy_image

Comment

One stopping feature for many (most) of HD5000/HD6000 is lack of real fp64 to achieve OpenGL 4.0 (it can be emulated using fp32, like Catalyst)
                    Are there any other "limited-by-hardware" feature till OpenGL 4.3 (and 4.5)? (Which will need some special "emulation"?)

btw, does all nvidias that prop driver supports GL4.5 also supports real fp64? Does nvidia prop driver also emulate features?

Comment

Working...
                    X