X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legume
    replied
    Originally posted by Nighthog View Post
    Edit: As no one had posted I started to do some more searching for myself and found this thread here at Phoronix
    Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

It's exactly the same thing...
    So do you see purple in the brighter/+gamma screen shots in that thread - I don't.

As the thread died without a solution or proper investigation... well... I really would like to see if a bug report was made as it seems to be a bug... Some say the like the "washed out colors more" but I would rather have correct colours than incorrect! I don't like my black being dark purple >_>; or have the washed out colours "aka like my crt TV that can't show black but a gray instead" which is a piece of crap cheap TV....
    Bug is limited to the use of TexturedVideo it seems. The older VideoOverlay gives the correct colours in conjunction to Xv video playback according to them...
    I'm not entirely new to linux but I haven't really done all my homework so where do I go to check if this bug has been reported?
    There is certainly a difference with xv - although for me using a CRT monitor it doesn't matter as I often have to run with gamma up to see detail in dark scenes anyway. Perhaps LCDs already compensate so it looks much worse to you.

If you want to turn gamma down you could try something like -

xgamma -gamma 0.8

or with mplayer in software with

-vf eq2=0.8

Of course your problem may be specific to your chipset/monitor WRT the purple tint, which I can't see even though I can clearly see the gamma is up for xv.

Leave a comment:

• Nighthog
    started a topic Xv video output has purple tint instead of beeing black

Xv video output has purple tint instead of beeing black

Hi I've been searching for some solution for my particular problem but only found bug reports/solutions and talk about Nvidia and no mention off ATi in this regard off Xv video output having wrong/distorted colours. Or rather simple, black is dark purple and all colours are off a bit to the purple end whit that.

X11 gives correct colors and black is real true black but I want to use Xv becouse it works better and gives less tearing and generally has better performance than the other ones.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 64bit, Kernel 2.6.24-19 generic whit Gnome 2.22.3 and I use the ATi 8.7 fglrx drivers which work quite well except for some smaller problems.(video tearing and blinking video whit specific stuff) But those are not the concern in this matter. I'm looking for a solution to fix the Xv to show correct colours!

My hardware is as follows:
    AMD Phenom 9750 2.4Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (780G+SB700, F4 bios)
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4DHX DDR2 4096MB 2x2Gb (can only use 3.4Gb thx to some bug in the bios whit linux over 4G memory mapping, everything gets graphics corrupted and eventually hangs...)

Iv'e run xvattr and everything seems to be correct at default 0 values...

I hope there is some help to be had into this matter.

Edit: As no one had posted I started to do some more searching for myself and found this thread here at Phoronix
    Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

It's exactly the same thing... As the thread died without a solution or proper investigation... well... I really would like to see if a bug report was made as it seems to be a bug... Some say the like the "washed out colors more" but I would rather have correct colours than incorrect! I don't like my black being dark purple >_>; or have the washed out colours "aka like my crt TV that can't show black but a gray instead" which is a piece of crap cheap TV....
    Bug is limited to the use of TexturedVideo it seems. The older VideoOverlay gives the correct colours in conjunction to Xv video playback according to them...
    I'm not entirely new to linux but I haven't really done all my homework so where do I go to check if this bug has been reported?
    Last edited by Nighthog; 12 August 2008, 03:17 PM.
Working...
X