AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Is A Letdown On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    It is not regression if it also improve performance for some other chips and it is not proven regression if it is only one man case on one man machine... there is no priority in the drivers to make faster card incredible good performant in expence to lower down performance on some smaller GPUs.

As you can see performance is still scalable across those three GPUs You can call someting as clear perfromance regression only if for all GPUs performance goes down, but that isn't what happened here.
    Now you go for semantics...
    I would be at the edge of considering you a Troll now - if I did not know you better from all your reasonable posts of the past...

So one last try - then I will stop
    I did not call it a "clear" regression. Just a regression. But you - yes you yourself - called it a regression ("Hawaii regressed") in your last post.
    How severe or reasonable the regression is in light of an improvement of one other card I do not want to judge.
    Looking at this one regression ALONE: a 80 to 60 fps regression is sad for 290 owners who payed more money for their card to get more performance for 4k or 120fps gaming.

and then this BS:
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    and it is not proven regression if it is only one man case on one man machine
    dungeon really? If you have so little trust in michaels benchmarks you have little reason to visit this site besides the news. If you really believe yourself what you wrote there, then you also cannot trust the improvement of the R7 370. It might also be a mythical one, maybe because it did not render correctly, ran at a lower resolution etc.

Now, please answer my question from my previous post - I really want to know:
    Why should that machine act wrong only with crimson while 15.9 is fine? And why would that happen in 6 runs of 2 independent games using the same engine. It is rather unlikely that "something" happend. Even if some mysterious process would have occupied 1 or 2 cpu cores exactly during those 6 runs then the performance penalty would not be so high cause the machine had 2 more cores to use and the benchmark is not even cpu limited to begin with.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Workstation is a bit different - most of the customers use enterprise distros so delivering out-of-tree is manageable. If you want to use upstream all-open then radeon will be the recommended choice, but the hybrid drivers should be able to run amdgpu on CI hardware. You should be OK with an M6100. The testing/fixing for the hybrid driver on CI should also improve the upstream code so amdgpu all-open on CI should stay working, but we're not going to be recommending or directly supporting that unless/until we can enable it upstream.
      @Bridgeman, isn't M6100 Bonaire based and thus GCN1.1? So you are suggesting it would be possible to use the closed stack with amdgpu on pre-GCN-1.2 cards? (I know that only one kernel driver per hardware is allowed, and thus radeon is currently used for GCN1.1 and 1.0).

Comment

• In regards to those saying AMD has stuck to a normal and reasonable support cycle:

AMD APU Product Family Compatibility
        AMD APU series codenamed "Kaveri", "Godavari" and "Carrizo" are only supported by AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta on Windows? 7 (32 & 64-bit), Windows? 8.1 (64-bit) and Windows? 10 (64-bit).
        They dropped support for my Kaveri APU that was released in August of 2014. My system is only a year old and I can't install a supported driver on linux 4.3. Before apologists come out and mention the open source driver, no they've failed to make that equivalent as well. AMD I promise I will never buy another CPU or Graphics card from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by thalaric View Post
          In regards to those saying AMD has stuck to a normal and reasonable support cycle:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...tion-Beta.aspx

They dropped support for my Kaveri APU that was released in August of 2014. My system is only a year old and I can't install a supported driver on linux 4.3. Before apologists come out and mention the open source driver, no they've failed to make that equivalent as well. AMD I promise I will never buy another CPU or Graphics card from you.
          I think you get something wrong there, Kaveri is GCN so supported Although 4.3 kernel is not supported, but there are community patches for that.

Anything that have GCN GPU continue to be supported.
          Last edited by dungeon; 25 November 2015, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            Now, please answer my question from my previous post - I really want to know:
            Why should that machine act wrong only with crimson while 15.9 is fine? And why would that happen in 6 runs of 2 independent games using the same engine. It is rather unlikely that "something" happend. Even if some mysterious process would have occupied 1 or 2 cpu cores exactly during those 6 runs then the performance penalty would not be so high cause the machine had 2 more cores to use and the benchmark is not even cpu limited to begin with.
            Metro is CPU limited i posted how profile looks like before

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...428#post836428

When i say game is CPU limited i mean it is limited for the API or implementation so for the driver, it needs heavy special threaded optimizations to work normal... That is what CPU limit is for me, and not how much particular CPU is fast or what else it can do.
            Last edited by dungeon; 25 November 2015, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I think you get something wrong there,
              No I didn't, you have failed to read the quote I posted.

Kaveri is GCN
              Correct.

so supported
              No, only on windows. They also dropped support for Kaveri in AMDGPU so I don't think this was an oversight. That they are dropping the APUs is referenced here so please check your facts.
              Although 4.3 kernel is not supported, but there are community patches for that.
              Irrelevant. Not for the APUs listed.

Comment

• I still think you get something wrong there, that from the link is Richland APU (HD 8670) that APU does not have GCN GPU but VLIW4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...13.2C_32_nm.29

Kaveri released last year is GCN 1.1 and is supported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...14.2C_28_nm.29

So many marketing names there makes thing complicated to explain by marketing names, it is easest to say all GCN will be supported by future driver releases, but VLIW4/5 not anymore
                Last edited by dungeon; 25 November 2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I still think you get something wrong there, that from the link is Richland APU (HD 8670) that APU does not have GCN GPU but VLIW4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...13.2C_32_nm.29

Kaveri released last year is GCN 1.1 and is supported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...14.2C_28_nm.29

So many marketing names there makes thing complicated to explain by marketing names, it is easest to say all GCN are supported, but VLIW4/5 not anymore

Whatever, I know when it came out and that it's GCN. It's clear they are dropping Kaveri support from new drivers anyway. They say so right here. Not about crimson, but it will be the same as per the crimson release notes.

Comment

Whatever, I know when it came out and that it's GCN. It's clear they are dropping Kaveri support from new drivers anyway. They say so right here. Not about crimson, but it will be the same as per the crimson release notes.
                    Well opensource drivers are entirely different, there is no dropping support there . There it is only *cutoff* which hardware will be supported by radeon and which hardware will be supported by amdgpu driver?

So there it is: Up to the GCN 1.1 is supported by radeon driver. GCN 1.2 and later is supported by amdgpu driver.

Comment

The text you quoted in post 102 is from a page that is only talking about Windows. It means "we don't support Windows 8, just 8.1, and we don't support Windows XP".

The link in post #107 is in the context of HSA support, which is currently targeting the upstream all-open drivers.... radeon for Kaveri, amdgpu for Carrizo.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X