Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Crimson Linux Release Notes: Glxgears Stuttering Fixed

Phoronix: AMD Crimson Linux Release Notes: Glxgears Stuttering Fixed

As the latest on today's interesting AMD Crimson driver release for both Linux and Windows, the release notes for the new Linux driver build are now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those fixes ... awaited for almost 10 years ... what a joke ... If there is no performance improvement in this release, I would understand that AMD lost most of linux users ...

Comment

Originally posted by binogure View Post
      Those fixes ... awaited for almost 10 years ... what a joke ... If there is no performance improvement in this release, I would understand that AMD lost most of linux users ...
      Don't expect much fixes or kernel/Xorg/GUI update until they switch to AMDGPU, for now radeonsi do all i want with steam and my other games and the latest git code has improved enough to make Cities Skyline playable with huge cities and Civ5 with mods. Additionally Wine + nine is almost able to run Skyrim + ENB + 250 mods from my win7 partition.

So is not that bad(when using arch at least, i don't know how good other distros can be at it) overall, i would love compute support to run Shadow of Mordor but i can wait and save some bucks

Comment

I'm pretty sure this isn't the actual Crimson release, it's just an updated CCC that AMD released at the same time as Crimson. That being said, the Windows release is considered a public beta and there doesn't appear to be any significant performance difference. It seems to me that AMD is just simply giving people a taste of the Crimson GUI, and the actual driver improvements will come for the official release. As for Linux, I think this is just simply a driver update and nothing more - I think once there is a legitimate linux crimson release we should see some significant changes, including the HD5000 and HD6000 GPUs being dropped.

Comment

• Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.17)
          • Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.19)

Hahahahahah you can go fuck yourself AMD, never, never, i'll never buy your card again, i'll make sure all my familly will boycott all of your products

Comment

There is support for 4.2 kernel just not advertised... they just don't write proper changelogs as usual

That is why i said to Bridgman how developers shouldn't do public relations changelogs are also PR too... this seems written by some dev who don't know english at all or you have some security issue on that site

There are Xonotic profiles, This War of Mine or such little not AAA and other games... clever man should announce perfromance optimizations for those You AMD really screwed yourself buy that bad PR - glxgears stutter fixed, that is joke
            Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              The release notes indicate HD 5000/6000 series support still while AMD has dropped support for pre-GCN GPUs.
              It is just an error in the release notes, even the windows version refuses to install for pre-GCN.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

It is just an error in the release notes, even the windows version refuses to install for pre-GCN.
                EG/NI have separate Crimson driver for Windows, there i at first figure out something is dropped:

AMD Radeon™ Software Support for Legacy Graphics Products

AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series (HD 8400 and below), Radeon™ HD 7000 Series (HD 7600 and below), Radeon™ HD 6000 Series, and Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics products have reached peak performance optimization as of November 24th, 2015.
                These products have been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned. This change enables us to dedicate valuable engineering resources to developing new features and enhancements for graphics products based on the GCN Architecture.
                http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...indows+10+-+64

But no idea if Linux Crimson driver works on EG/NI as i don't have that hardware, PCI IDs are still there but can't conclude from that
                Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Can anyone confirm whether this works when compiled with gcc5 under kernel 4.2.x?

Comment

AMD choose bad time to drop support for older cards on Linux. They could at least wait for Ubuntu 16.04. IT would be a LTS release so you would get five years supported distro where you could install last fglrx driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X