No announcement yet.

Latest On AMD Crimson For Linux: Supports 4.x Kernels, Drops Pre-GCN GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD 5830 here ... looking at 7790 or similar for next replacement ... something that works well with Mesa ....

Come on people ... products have a lifecycle ... deal with it ...

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      Oh AMD thanks for droping support for my HD 5850... You should mention about it in release note in Linux driver...

Ok, its time to find new GPU. Anyone can recommend chep NVIDIA GPU? Maybe GTX 660 or 750?

This is some offers in newegg maybe can help you, however try hold on until friday

EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB stay in 180us

ASUS GTX 750Ti 2GB stay in 120us and give you rebate card for 30us

Zotac GTX 750 2GB Non ti stay so cheap, appears in 80us

Zotac 750Ti GB stay in 95us

Zotac GTX 950 2GB stay in 140us in both models (stock and oc model)

And this GTX 950 2GB in EVGA stay in 150us but give you 20us in rebate card

In newegg appears more interesting offers

Last edited by pinguinpc; 24 November 2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Can this pre GCN drop have anything to do with vulcan support? since only GCN cards will get vulcan.
        It does not have anything to do with Vulkan, as same thing happened earlier - it is normal to me

ATi has that ~3 year and then oldest gen goes to legacy approach. This happens well forever with ATi. First drop i remember in 2006., then that was 2009. then 2012 and now 2015.

Same things happens with Nvidia, older goes into legacy branch - and they just maintain kernel/X support, patch here patch there only that you can somehow run it and that is about it you get there nothing new.

Only difference is that for AMD this really means drop and no further support for newer X and kernels. But they support opensource drivers which are by that time considered fine to continue to support that legacy hardware.

So once AMD drop support, you either stick with or swtich to last supported X as kernels can usually be patched further (i think 12.6/13.1 driver still can work with newest kernel) but not with current X ... or just switch to opensource driver. Or really buy new hardware, especially for gamers those 3-5 years cards in that time always bacame old for current games.
        Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

@raonlinux

750 (Ti) is outdated, usefull currently is only 950/960 as upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It does not have anything to do with Vulkan, as same thing happened earlier - it is normal to me

ATi has that ~3 year and then oldest gen goes to legacy approach. This happens well forever with ATi. First drop i remember in 2006., then that was 2009. then 2012 and now 2015.

Same things happens with Nvidia, older goes into legacy branch - and they just maintain kernel/X support.

Only difference is that for AMD this really means drop and no further support for newer X and kernels. But they support opensource drivers which are by that time considered fine to continue to support that legacy hardware.
            I know about the 3 years but that the exact timing might be vulcan and xorg API.
            Personally i use the radeon driver and i got the hardware for the old dropped generation and remember when the support was dropped for them and i think that the open source was in a far worse shape when previous generation were dropped.
            Now the driver is in a real good shape and my old gen hw is also doing a lot better now.
            I will continue to buy AMD hardware and enjoy the open drivers (i got nvidia hardware as well but it always been more hassle to make them work for my usage).

EDIT: If i remember correctly last time there were an legacy blob driver for some time but the radeon is in an much better shape this time around.
            Last edited by Nille_kungen; 24 November 2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Well timing on Vulkan it might match because Vulkan supports GCN only and that supports GCN only because GCN is used in Playstation 4/XBONE, and Mantle for PC is maded because of what can be used on those consoles, then DX12/Metal/Vulkan because of Mantle as we all know.

Most modern games in last couple years really target consoles first, as you see currently it is all about GCN

About AMD drivers i don't really have a problem neither with opensource one, neither with this Catalyst - i installed this one Crimson and it works fine

All my hardware is currently GCN 1.1, according to history AMD will drop support for those in 2018. - which is fine. I might switch to then current RHEL and used it all the way to 2030 ... well, i don't like Catalyst that much, but it is doable
              Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                EDIT: If i remember correctly last time there were an legacy blob driver for some time but the radeon is in an much better shape this time around.
                Yeah shape is always better how time goes, but AFAIR Catalyst was always better performer Which is normal as who made hardware who made software, inovate many technologies he knows the best

Radeon opensource driver is also in Legacy mode now, 95% of development currently happens for AMDGPU. Which is actually good thing, to not hit so much regressions.
                Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                  Only a masochist buys AMD, I was burned by the dropping of HD4000
                  I have a RadeonHD 4550. It works great with the open source driver...

Originally posted by Kano
                  750 (Ti) is outdated, usefull currently is only 950/960 as upgrade
                  The 750Ti is still a great bargain for light/moderate gaming. It also has firmware available should you ever need to use nouveau with it.
                  For someone comfing from a 5850, a GTX 950/960 makes more sense to me (and you get the added bonus of better video decode support in the GM2x0 chips).

Oh AMD thanks for droping support for my HD 5850...
                  " *Rolls eyes* No. Stop. Don't." - Willy Wonka

Comment

I agree with Kano that 750 (Ti) is outdated, nVidia should drop support for it

Newest card currently is R9 380X gamers should buy that, instead of GTX 960 which is slower and thus obsolete
                    Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder if the release notes are just bad, or if the fglrx team is now reduced to a single person?
                      Also, when you think about it, it's likely that this will repeat in 2018 and then never again in such a manner, because due to fglrx restructuring in AMDGPU, it will run on any new kernel and Xorg versions.
                      In addition, things like that go to show that for longevity it's always better to invest in a newer architecture (even if that means a more bumpy ride at first).

Hm, so now I have no more cards that fglrx supports. Interesting how that goes. This change applies to two of my cards, but in both cases they were running r600g to begin with.
                      Last edited by GreatEmerald; 24 November 2015, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X