Latest On AMD Crimson For Linux: Supports 4.x Kernels, Drops Pre-GCN GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Unfortunately xorg being broken for DVI displays for ages, there is no way to generate a xorg.conf file and disabling vsync on these cards, when you're using open source drivers. That means drastically decreased performance.
    For r600 opensource driver and EXA, one need vblank_mode=0 var together with xorg.conf option "SwapbuffersWait" off... is that what you tried?

Comment

That's a little odd. I can seem to find a beta "Crimson" driver for pre-GCN at Windows ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...tion-Beta.aspx ) and for Linux it lists the older GPU series, too http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...s=Linux+x86_64

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        This is nothing new but expected ~3 year dropping cadence, same happened in year 2006, 2009., 2012. and now in 2015.

That said, expect GCN 1.0/1.1 drop in 2018.
        then there is something that the nvidiots do not want to expose.
        Every fing gcn gpu has a great proportion of its functionality either as released oss code or as released documentation.
        Those GPUs are bound to have support FOREVER.

Comment

Thanks AMD for dropping support for my Radeon HD 5850 on my main rig. I'll be buying an Nvidia GeForce as the upgrade.

Comment

In OpenSUSE 42.1 is UNSTABLE when some application (for example BOINC app) is heavily working under OpenCL (numerous hangs up of xserver).

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Unfortunately xorg being broken for DVI displays for ages, there is no way to generate a xorg.conf file and disabling vsync on these cards, when you're using open source drivers. That means drastically decreased performance.

Dropping Catalyst support would be fine, if it was feature complete, but it (once again) never reached that stage, only for windows. Dropping windows support is fine, as the card can do everything it is capable of and can run everything it is capable of, at maximum possible performance. Linux performance on the other hand is still stuck somewhere around 50-70% and would require a bunch of work.
              Well effective there are 2 HW generations with no propper driver support hd4k should be feature complet, evergreen almost som OpenGL support and performance penalty and Opencl missing for hd5k and 6k. While ownig this chip ithink it is imortant that AMD is alive, than instant new driver support. LTE dirstributions use supported drivers, so no mqjor problem here. Until LTS distributions change to new kernel i expect the mesa driver to get mor mature or the legacy driver vets bumped to support the new kernel and xorg versions. So no major problem here, even if it's nothing to cheere at, it is acceptable to take this path.

Comment

I can't build crimson on my dual gpu laptop with an NI and an GCN GPU "HD 8650G/8670M".
                If i choose HD 8000M on AMD homepage it let's me download crimson driver but it can't be installed.
                Log shows "./amd_dcm64: No supported adapters detected".

About R600 and OpenGL 4 it seems like dave is getting closer with tesselation and he started to send patches to mesa preparing for tesselation so i guess it's getting closer.
                There also seems to be much work getting done in http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied.../?h=r600g-tess

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

And mesa is still supporting r200 (released in 2001) cards and newer, with at least with r300g (for cards from 2003 - 2007) providing more features than catalyst ever did.
                  Two can play at this game...
                  The game I'm playing is that I don't need a third party to help run my card when buying nvidia. I buy the card, get the driver that I know enables the same features I'd have in Windows (save for Optimus and DirectX support) and I'm ready for any kernel or X server.
                  What game you playin'?

Comment

Oh yea well I'll make my own drivers. with black jack and hookers and Gallium-Nine. In fact, forget the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                      then there is something that the nvidiots do not want to expose.
                      Every fing gcn gpu has a great proportion of its functionality either as released oss code or as released documentation.
                      Those GPUs are bound to have support FOREVER.
                      Well that is one of the points why AMD supports opensource driver, so they can drop blob support and rolling users still to have something to use.

I agree AMD opensource drivers are somehow part of that legacy support programme
                      Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X