Hybrid Graphics Laptop - Switch to AMD radeon driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Graphics Laptop - Switch to AMD radeon driver

Long time lurker here. I'm at my wits end with this laptop. I've searched everywhere on how to switch from built in intel graphics to discrete AMD graphics with no success. I do not want to run fglrx.

laptop specs:

HP Laptop from late 2011
    Intel i-7 2630QM (Sandy Bridge) CPU
    AMD Radeon 6770M
    Ubuntu 15.10
    No option in bios to switch cards or disable integrated / discreet graphics.

From what I can gather, this is a "muxless" hyrbrid setup. I've tried vgaswitcheroo just to try it to no avail. I've searched high and low, with 99% of the information out there saying to install fglrx. I've blacklisted i915 drivers which just results in a blank screen.

Anyone out there with similar laptops trying to make use of their discrete AMD graphics? I feel like I'm missing something super basic.

Code:
    $ lspci | grep VGA
    shows:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Whistler [Radeon HD 6730M/6770M/7690M XT] (rev ff)
    Code:
    $ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    shows the discrete card in a dynamic off state:
    Code:
    0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
    1:DIS: :DynOff:0000:01:00.0
    Running:
    Code:
    $ xrandr --listproviders
    Gives the following output (only one provider):

Code:
    Providers: number : 1
    Provider 0: id: 0x47 cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel

I prefer bbswitch to disable/enable onboard VGA but if you like to use it then you van enable DRI3 and just use PRIME=1 APP override. With DRI2 you need xrandr to activate it. First use bbswitch, then try the rest.

Comment

Working...
    X