No announcement yet.

AMD Tonga & Fiji Open-Source Performance Boosted By PowerPlay Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some tests with these patches too would be interesting.

But Fiji is a bit too expensive for me - so looking forward to some middle-class HBM goodness

Comment

Great News!

Comment

Any idea when these will be mainlined?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          That is what I wrote: "So amd oss driver stack needs some improvment"
          Indeed, if nvidia driver is faster then amdgpu's all open stack then nouveau needs more improvments

I understand comparison of blob to blob or opensource to opensource drivers or blob vs opensource of same vendor, but not blob from one vendor to opensource of another

It is like saying "look how AMD Catalyst is fast, so nouveau needs some improvment".
          Last edited by dungeon; 14 November 2015, 01:14 AM.

Comment

So, I took the liberty of running the OSS results against my R9 380. The OSS stack still needs a bunch of performance improvements - but I am excited! I may be able to get away with running the OSS driver stack when 16.04 rolls around!

Here are my results
            OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              So, I took the liberty of running the OSS results against my R9 380. The OSS stack still needs a bunch of performance improvements - but I am excited! I may be able to get away with running the OSS driver stack when 16.04 rolls around!

Here are my results
              http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...BOXI-151113670
              What resolution is that 2960x1050? Ah, surround dual monitors expand... something like 1280x1024 + 1680x1050?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

What resolution is that 2960x1050? Ah, surround dual monitors expand... something like 1280x1024 + 1680x1050?
                yep - that's exactly it - a 19" 4:3 and a 22" 16:10. I used to have another pair of 19"'s but they died from dodgy capacitors a few years back.

The plus side of a 22" monitor is I get lots of FPS

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

390X as GCN 1.1 gen is supported by radeon driver.

sorry about this stupid question but i don't understand one thing if you take 285 card its much older than the 390x and 285 will get AMDGPU support? doesn't make sense

what the big difference between 1.1 and 1.2

and what about the support radeonSI it will get improvments?
                  Last edited by nir2142; 14 November 2015, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
                    ... if you take 285 card its much older than the 390x and 285 will get AMDGPU support? ...
                    The Hawaii/Grenada chip on the 390x (or 290, 290X, 390) is of older generation (Sea Islands) than the Tonga/Antigua chip (Volcanic Islands) on the 285 card (or 380 card).

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
                      sorry about this stupid question but i don't understand one thing if you take 285 card its much older than the 390x and 285 will get AMDGPU support? doesn't make sense
                      It make sense if you underdstand how drivers are maded, drivers are maded per GPU generation - GCN 1.2 or VI or 3drd GCN Gen or newer is what AMDGPU driver supports.

While those 3 numbers are marketing names (370, 380, 390X, etc...). Marketing sorted them by performance, not per generation so - 370 is first GCN gen, 380 the third and 390 is from second GCN family.

Yes 285 is newer gen then 390, even if it hit market much after that.

Compare that to let say nVidia 750 vs Titan Z. That 750 one is only one Maxwell gen from 7xx Series, all other are Kepler . So while 750 released in february 2014. and Titan Z month after that Z it is still older gen even it is released after 750 that, does not matter it is much more costly or perfromant, it is older K gen, etc...
                      Last edited by dungeon; 14 November 2015, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X