Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Tonga & Fiji Open-Source Performance Boosted By PowerPlay Patches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Tonga & Fiji Open-Source Performance Boosted By PowerPlay Patches

    Phoronix: AMD Tonga & Fiji Open-Source Performance Boosted By PowerPlay Patches

    Yesterday AMD finally posted power management support for the AMDGPU DRM kernel driver when it comes to supported discrete graphics cards like Tonga and Fiji. I've been testing these PowerPlay Linux patches since yesterday to great success. In this article are results from a Radeon R9 285 and Radeon R9 Fury when testing these kernel patches along with the latest Mesa 11.1-devel Git drivers.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22392

  • #2
    Why not compare this to the proprietary driver and to (for example) an R290 that has no powerplay?
    Right now we _only_ see what PP changes.
    We can't compare it with other card or the prop. driver.

    Comment


    • #3
      One word: Wow.

      Theses results are quite impressive. I wish NVidia with nouveau were as great as the open source amd driver right now...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
        Why not compare this to the proprietary driver and to (for example) an R290 that has no powerplay?
        Right now we _only_ see what PP changes.
        We can't compare it with other card or the prop. driver.
        As stated in the article (and I think also yesterday's article), there will be follow-up tests in other articles... They can't all be in one article. The next one comes out tomorrow.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          \o/ AMD keeps impressing me with their open source drivers.

          Last edited by Nille_kungen; 14 November 2015, 08:30 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I bet you get a decent performance increase on the Fury if you enable dri3 ... that's were everything is happening these days anyway. Probably isn't optimal for it to be using dri2 at all..

            also why are the open arena numbers so much lower than here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ri3-perf&num=2 the r9 285 shouldn't be that much slower than the 290. Edit: never mind different resolution.... makes it hard to compare though.
            Last edited by cb88; 13 November 2015, 12:22 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice to see AMD advancing the open source drivers!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                I bet you get a decent performance increase on the Fury if you enable dri3 ... that's were everything is happening these days anyway. Probably isn't optimal for it to be using dri2 at all..
                dri3 won't magically fix performance. It doesn't change at all how the cards renders, just how the final result is sent to the X server (and how the X server handles it).

                Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                also why are the open arena numbers so much lower than here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ri3-perf&num=2 the r9 285 shouldn't be that much slower than the 290. Edit: never mind different resolution.... makes it hard to compare though.
                Look at the resolution used for the tests, you'll see a big difference

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK, at least Tonga is top notch

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    they support 285,380 and not 390x ?? why? what about 390x customers?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X