AMD Announces Radeon Software Crimson Edition, Radeon Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Yes, you can hope for Vulkan, that's the future, but till you can play 100 games using Vulkan there will be at least 2 gfx generations newly introduced.
    Very true. I suppose it depends on what popular games get released with Vulkan support. It may be a while before Vulkan really becomes important.

EDIT: I don't think it'll take a hundred games though, only a few popular ones that many people actually play.
    Last edited by duby229; 03 November 2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Well Debian does not have it officially as non-free is not official ... but they should rename it to radeon-software and radeon-settings to avoid confusion.

Recently Debian even split/renamed firmwares package needed for opensource drivers to 'firmware-amd-graphics'
      Last edited by dungeon; 03 November 2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Are you really sure that the binary will not be called amdcccle on Linux? It does not matter which name is then shown in the gui.

Comment

I am not sure as i don't have Crimson driver Maybe nothing will change visually on Linux (someone commented that Crimson framework is Windows-only for now), as i didn't heard Linux mentioned at all as part of this story.

Last edited by dungeon; 03 November 2015, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            At least Catalyst naming is dead, so you are satisfied

Catalyst became Radeon Software and CCC became Radeon Settings.
            Long live fglrx

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Long live fglrx
              Yeah, first name convention strikes again

By that convention we should forever call all these APIs as Mantle

Last edited by dungeon; 03 November 2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Reading more about Radeon Software, the layout is very promising. I wonder if that setting will be implemented for Linux as well as the panel is built with crossplatform in mind. So far, libhsakmt 1.0 landed for supporting HSA for Kaveri and up, Fedora will have it available soon once Oled builds it within the repository. RadeonSI can use OpenGL 4.1, runs smoothly on Gnome on Wayland, older OSS Radeon drivers are stable and nearly complete. It seems AMD is back on track and AMD hardware owners' patience will finally pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

Long live fglrx
                  I know some people disagree with me on this, but just because AMD decided in 2007 to keep that name around doesn't mean it still exists. That driver was replaced when AMD released the shared code base. Some people claim that the kernel driver used was the same, but the code was overhauled and really deserved a new name but didn't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Which is why EA's Origin is available cross platform... oh wait....
                    Umm. Origin is cross-platform. It's just not available on GNU/Linux, yet. Mostly because the platform doesn't have games for GNU/Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X