AMD Announces Radeon Software Crimson Edition, Radeon Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    EXA is not bad. It's lightning fast. Glamor is fast enough, but EXA is much faster.
    I don't talk about who is faster, if you want to know OK - Catalyst for me is faster then both My point was about vblank_mode behavior on glamor vs EXA, on EXA (as oppose to glamor) it does not do a thing completely if you also don't disable SwapbuffersWait

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I don't talk about who is faster, if you want to know OK - Catalyst for me is faster then both My point was about vblank_mode behavior on glamor vs EXA, on EXA (as oppose to glamor) it does not do a thing completely if you also don't disable SwapbuffersWait
      Well, it doesn't matter for me anyway, the hardware I'm currently using doesn't support EXA so I just use glamor. It's good enough and much better than Catalyst.

Anyway CCC desperately needed replaced so this is great news.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Well, it doesn't matter for me anyway, the hardware I'm currently using doesn't support EXA so I just use glamor. It's good enough and much better than Catalyst.
        I comment on Luke what i remember about EXA, trying to inform him of this EXA specific behavior... well because it mention r600.

Anyway CCC desperately needed replaced so this is great news.
        How is that desperate? How about some GUI for opensource driver to set SwapbuffersWait off or other options You can use Catalyst without that GUI too - it is not requirement, just handy to have. In similar way one can use opensource drivers without DRICONF

Comment

CCC for Windows does have a nice set of configurable options, but it's too slow and unresponsive. The linux control center is much more responsive, but it's a different code base and isn't nearly as configurable. So yeah, this was desperately needed.

Comment

At least Catalyst naming is dead, so you are satisfied

Catalyst became Radeon Software and CCC became Radeon Settings.

Comment

Basically .net is a huge depend, not optimal if you use older Windows versions which do not ship with it. I would not say that AMD did that to unify it with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                At least Catalyst naming is dead, so you are satisfied

Catalyst became Radeon Software and CCC became Radeon Settings.
                Good, That's a good thing. AMD now has a chance to win some mindshare. They have the potential to lose the stigma associated with Catalyst.

Comment

AMD renames the driver with a 90% probability from one driver to the other - when you look at the download/binary nameing scheme, sometimes pure .run files, next times zipped, whatever they like... Debian/Ubuntu never used the catalyst name as package name, maybe Arch, but it does not really matter how you name it, it will most likely never be as fast as Nvidia with pure OpenGL games.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    AMD renames the driver with a 90% probability from one driver to the other - when you look at the download/binary nameing scheme, sometimes pure .run files, next times zipped, whatever they like... Debian/Ubuntu never used the catalyst name as package name, maybe Arch, but it does not really matter how you name it, it will most likely never be as fast as Nvidia with pure OpenGL games.
                    Yeah, that's highly unlikely. But I think something stable and reliable would improve their image. Even if Catalyst gets there it's already tainted by peoples experiences with it. So a name change and a new GUI along with reliability would help a lot. Like you said it will probably never outperform nvidia on OpenGL, but does it have to? I don't think it does. A new era is going to start with Vulkan soon. It will need to compete well with Vulkan, but maybe not so much with OpenGL. As long as it can run OpenGL reliably I think that's good enough.
                    Last edited by duby229; 03 November 2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, you can hope for Vulkan, that's the future, but till you can play 100 games using Vulkan there will be at least 2 gfx generations newly introduced.

Comment

Working...
                      X