Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Reportedly Planning Big Driver Update For November

Phoronix: AMD Reportedly Planning Big Driver Update For November

Reports are surfacing that AMD is planning a "special edition" driver update for November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they reduce the OpenGL-Overhead.

Comment

Everybody with half a brain expected a big driver update along the Steam Machines launch.

Comment

It's funny how my brain says: Nothing will change significantly but my ... i don't know ... perhaps the ass ... hopes for great changes.

Comment

We're talking about which November exactly?

Comment

Perhaps they have the catalyst part that will work with xf86-video-amdgpu driver

Comment

Probably launching Vulkan drivers as part of this.

Comment

AMD Catalyst Omega 2

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  It's funny how my brain says: Nothing will change significantly but my ... i don't know ... perhaps the ass ... hopes for great changes.
                  Hahaha, dude I love you! Gave me a good laugh, thanks for that.

Pretty sure it's just more DX12 stuff. Keeping my imagination simple, my hope is for proper Kernel 4 support. Just maybe it might happen.

Comment

Yes hopefully will coincide with Vulkan release! Also still waiting on freesync for Linux.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Everybody with half a brain expected a big driver update along the Steam Machines launch.
                    None of the Steam machines have AMD graphics. There's one with Intel Iris Pro and the rest all Nvidia. AMD didn't give Valve any choice in the matter sadly, despite a few years notice...

Originally posted by SvenK View Post
                    I hope they reduce the OpenGL-Overhead.
                    that's the dream! But it's been years and it hasn't happened. Neither for catalyst nor for open source. Still haven't totally given up on openGL though.
                    It's not going away...

Comment

Working...
                    X