ARB_copy_image Support Lands For AMD RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

No, I am exactly right. nVidia with their blob wants to made any platform their gaming console - that is what they do all the time And also all other hardware vendors and their drivers looks like crippled just because people starts to depend on their hardware controled by their driver behavior.

Believe me it is simple as that, they will not change their practice - that is how it is . I don't even think it is something wrong, but they are not all alone in the world and it is not good for other vendors, you know
    I agree that's how it is.... But I am going to keep my hope that after Vulkan that's not how it will be.... But I don't know.

EDIT: nVidia's driver performs fantastic. It's not a bad driver. But it's not standards compliant. Maybe they will do the same thing with Vulkan, but I hope they can't.
    Last edited by duby229; 28 October 2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I agree that's how it is.... But I am going to keep my hope that after Vulkan that's not how it will be.... But I don't know.
      Did you think nVidia will allow one API to change their bussines practice? They will just block it or not use it, cripple it, tied to it again to something theirs or whatever else - but bussiness "cowboy a like practice we will not change"

Comment

Did you think nVidia will allow one API to change their bussines practice? They will just block it or not use it, cripple it, tied to it again to something theirs or whatever else - but bussiness "cowboy a like practice we will not change"
        Maybe. I don't know. Maybe AMD's driver will outperform it and undermine nVidia's intention.

EDIT: I can't scry. I can't read the future.

Comment

EDIT: I can't scry. I can't read the future.
          Of course you can't, otherwise you will made your own company and made your own API which is better then any other Even if it is the best one, problem is only to convince people to use it because it is not nVidia's

Comment

EDIT: nVidia's driver performs fantastic. It's not a bad driver. But it's not standards compliant. Maybe they will do the same thing with Vulkan, but I hope they can't.
            Didn't saw that edit... It is fantastic, just because game devs use it. And same GL blob is on any platform... And you want for AMD opensource driver on Linux, but GNMX on console, and still Catalyst for Windows - with same perfromance

Vulkan sounds fine, yes of course it sounds fine because it does not exist yet and without dirty hands on it. It is enough that one big game engine screwed up things for other vendors or some platform and we will have same story again
            Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Didn't saw that edit... It is fantastic, just because game devs use it. And same GL blob is on any platform... And you want for AMD opensource driver on Linux, but GNMX on console, and still Catalyst for Windows

Vulkan sounds fine, yes of course it sounds fine because it does not exist yet and without dirty hands on it. It is enough that one big game engine screwed up things for other vendors and we will have same story again
              I don't know what your talking now. I'm still putting my hope in Vulkan. It'll run on Linux, Mac, Windows and at least PS4, I don't know about wii or xbox, but that is most gaming platforms that Vulkan will run on.

Comment

I don't know what your talking now. I'm still putting my hope in Vulkan. It'll run on Linux, Mac, Windows and at least PS4, I don't know about wii or xbox, but that is most gaming platforms that Vulkan will run on.
                Currently it does not run anywhere, other then for companies. AFAIK Mac will not have Vulkan, but Metal. And you can be sure that Windows and Xbox One will run DX primarly, because MS will make sure you use that.

So primarly Vulkan like GL (minus Apple) will be for Linux and non Apple non MS phones... for other then that yeah we can only hope, if we all don't die before hope dies
                Last edited by dungeon; 28 October 2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Currently it does not run anywhere, other then for companies. AFAIK Mac will not have Vulkan, but Metal. And you can be sure that Windows and Xbox One will run DX primarly, because MS will make sure you use that.

So primarly Vulkan like GL (minus Apple) will be for Linux and non Apple non MS phones... for other then that yeah we can only hope, if we all don't die before hope dies
                  I think Vulkan goes on Catalyst and Nvidia driver everywhere even on Windowz and Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

I think Vulkan goes on Catalyst and Nvidia driver everywhere even on Windowz and Mac.
                    Vulkan will certainly be on Windows, but the question is will anyone use it instead of DX12.

OSX doesn't allow 3rd party graphic drivers, and the OS is locked down. Vulkan won't work there. (OpenGL support is provided directly by Apple, with small hardware plugins that the HW vendors provide, which is why you only get GL4.1 there rather than 4.4 or 4.5 like on other OS's)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Vulkan will certainly be on Windows, but the question is will anyone use it instead of DX12.

OSX doesn't allow 3rd party graphic drivers, and the OS is locked down. Vulkan won't work there. (OpenGL support is provided directly by Apple, with small hardware plugins that the HW vendors provide, which is why you only get GL4.1 there rather than 4.4 or 4.5 like on other OS's)
                      So vulkan won't be available on OSX then. Oh well. They'll still have ports from iOS so I don't think Apple will be hurting for games. My question is how is Apple supporting GLES, or do they? They must for iOS at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X