• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much for Feral Interactive stepping up their AMD game
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...al-interactive

Comment

Doesn't seem to be working on my AMD 6950 with fglrx 15.9 either.<

Seems like some Vertices don't reflect any lighting.
      I hope this gets fixed at some point as this is one of the Linux games i would actually like to play.

Edit: Seems fixed, apparently this sort of behavior might happen if the catalyst AI is enabled.
      Disabled it => No more bugs. Although i get really low fps.
      Last edited by Brinkyeti; 07 November 2015, 07:35 AM.

Comment

according to this bug report (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93144), the problem is solved on radeonsi provided you override your Gl and GLSL versions. A dev from Feral did post technical information and an offer for game keys to help debug the game which, apart from that computer shader bug, works beautifully with all settings on max on radeonsi. the problem is likely to go away completely once radeonsi properly advertises its GL/GLSL versions.

Comment

Isn't radeonsi now advertising 4.3 by default ? I don't think the over-ride is needed any more.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Isn't radeonsi now advertising 4.3 by default ? I don't think the over-ride is needed any more.
            I just installed the latest Padoka PPA, and it still advertises 4.2 - there was a bug with pixel shaders in a high-profile open source game, and this made the radeonsi team decide not to broadcast 4.3 as long as it wasn't solved on the game's side (which is, IMHO, stupid - that's what a driconf profile would be for).
            Edit: maybe not that stupid, as the 2 games I own that make use of compute shaders either crash on start (Tomb Raider) or hang the driver (Alien Isolation). I have a R9 270 (GCN 1.0), I guess compute shaders just don't work with that oldie.
            Last edited by mitch074; 27 June 2016, 03:09 PM. Reason: tests and crashes

Comment

Got it, thanks. That's not unusual I guess -- you can't start finding bugs until you have the code running...
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

TR2013 in Dx9 mode works fine with wine-staging csmt. Alien Isolation is nvidia only in linux and dx11 game in windows so I would not even try it.
                Feral made both games' Linux port. For Tomb Raider (I had a talk with a dev on their Steam forum), compute shaders are used to reimplement TressFX, which is a DX11-specific feature. For Alien Isolation, the Feral devs have already mentioned that they will support the Mesa driver for AMD as soon as there's an official release that's feature complete.

So, provided this is indeed a bug with radeonsi's implementation of compute shaders for GCN 1.0 and it does get fixed in time for the next release, I guess Alien: Isolation will have official support for AMD hardware with Mesa 12.1 - as, apart from the psychedelic rendering of some surfaces caused by the missing compute shaders, the game renders beautifully.

Comment

Uh… I know this is a pretty old thread, but is there any news on this?

Still can't get the game to work properly with Ubuntu 18.04, AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB with Mesa 19.0.0-dev, LLVM 7.0.1 (both from the oibaf PPA) and Linux 4.19.9 (latest stable).

When I start the game everything looks trippy with psychedelic colors, so not playable.
                  I thought this was fixed already with the implementation of compute shaders, and I've got OpenGL 4.5, using the amdgpu driver.

Fun detail: The game already ran perfectly ~1 year ago on a Radeon HD 7750, whereas on an old HD 6450, exactly the same visual glitches happened as on the RX 580.

What is the problem here? Am I missing something obvious?

Comment

Nevermind, I figured it out.
                    Cheers

Just kidding

The problem was that I just copied my Ubuntu installation over from another PC which had the HD 6450 before.
                    The game already ran on that system, so the game settings and the mesa shader cache was still there from the old GPU, and this produced the wrong result (shaders wrongly compiled by an older LLVM I guess). It was as simple as deleting the shader cache (and the old game settings, but this probably had no effect anyway).

Now everything is running perfectly fine.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X