AMD Squeezes In Few More AMDGPU Updates For Linux 4.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    You can say that, but it's just words because it never happened. Catalyst is broken in many ways and has turned people away from AMD.
    AMD never stopped releasing Catalyst, so your words coming from nowhere . You should recommend both like me if you want any good to see in future, even AMDGPU is designed to eventualy handle both customers - half opensource devs do the work, half catalyst devs do the work

Go on radeon irc to feel more of a PITA about replicating what Catalyst already has (can't read that drunked vadim's funny stories and you at the same time)
    Last edited by dungeon; 09 September 2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I'll form opinion about the new amdgpu supported catalyst when I see it in action. But for the last 8 years catalyst has been broken and before that fglrx was broken. AMD and ATi have never had good proprietary drivers for linux. The desktop experience is pretty easy to see for yourself. The slow laggyness, the glitching, the high CPU usage, the video decoding support, the opengl performance. All of these are irritating. All of these are contributing factors to AMD losing to nvidia on linux. That situation will change as soon as people stop using catalyst.

Comment

I'll form opinion about the new amdgpu supported catalyst when I see it in action. But for the last 8 years catalyst has been broken and before that fglrx was broken. AMD and ATi have never had good proprietary drivers for linux. The desktop experience is pretty easy to see for yourself. The slow laggyness, the glitching, the high CPU usage, the video decoding support, the opengl performance. All of these are irritating. All of these are contributing factors to AMD losing to nvidia on linux. That situation will change as soon as people stop using catalyst.
        You are wrong there, with your right to be wrong of course . I don't share your Catalyst experience currently, beside vdpau i missing from mesa driver... basicaly everything other works fine for me
        Last edited by dungeon; 09 September 2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

You are wrong there, with your right to be wrong of course . I don't share your Catalyst experience currently, beside vdpau i missing from mesa driver... basicaly everything other works fine for me
          You already admitted that you don't check for hardware support before you buy and you are happy dealing with broken drivers so your situation doesn't apply to anyone else.

Comment

You already admitted that you don't check for hardware support before you buy and you are happy dealing with broken drivers so your situation doesn't apply to anyone else.
            That sounds like something smitty3268 already said But that "anyone else." are most if not all of yours opensource driver devs

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

That sounds like something smitty3268 already said But that "anyone else." are most if not all of yours opensource driver devs
              I never heard any OSS dev ever say that they are happy dealing with broken drivers or that they don't check for hardware support before they buy. But that is exactly what you said. You're in a world all by yourself.

Comment

I never heard any OSS dev ever say that they are happy dealing with broken drivers or that they don't check for hardware support before they buy. But that is exactly what you said. You're in a world all by yourself.
                I said driver devs, because you like opensource drivers so much . Are you expect good working and tested opensource driver without driver developer having a hardware Or you having a hardware in case driver developer does not have that one... There is always quite posibility something would be broken forever if not tested
                Last edited by dungeon; 09 September 2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X