No announcement yet.

Running The AMD Radeon R9 Fury With AMD's New Open-Source Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your guys take on the 285 (Tonga). The drivers are still not therethere(no reclocking), but I've seen prices close to the 370 and it's not a rebrand. As support goes, is it on the same schedule as Fiji even though it came out last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Coolicer View Post
      Michael, thanks for all the benchmarks. These AMDGPU benches had finally made me subscribe to premium.

Also, can anyone explain how the AMDGPU and Catalyst are going to interact with Mesa in the picture? I seem to either forgotten or missed it somewhere. Is the idea to have Mesa/Catalyst be something the user can switch? So the AMDGPU is a framework where a User-space OpenGL implementation is plugged in to?
      AMDGPU lives in kernel space, Mesa is in user space and in the future Catalyst will be also only in user space.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
        What's your guys take on the 285 (Tonga). The drivers are still not therethere(no reclocking), but I've seen prices close to the 370 and it's not a rebrand. As support goes, is it on the same schedule as Fiji even though it came out last year?
        Fiji and Tonga are both Volcanic Islands, so they both need similar driver support. Architecturally they are basically the same, just different amounts of resources.

Comment

chimpy
          Yes, the R9 285 is currently a very good deal. It is definitely preferable to the 2 GB R9 370. In most situations it is even preferable to the 4 GB R9 370.
          The R9 285 is based on Tonga which is like Fiji going to be supported by AMDGPU (new features will be supported simultaneously I guess).

Comment

I waited for Nano, but 650$ for video card is too much for me thats why yesterday I bought Sapphire R9 380 ITX Compact. I hope that in upcoming weeks AMDGPU will gain DPM, so this card will work very good with OSS drivers. Until that I'll stay with Catalyst for both Windows and Linux. Anyway current results from this benchmark look really promising.

Comment

My God Michael, you're so biased towards Nvidia and their proprietary driver. This is a Linux site and you never do anything about the open source drivers. It's all 'Nvidia this...' and 'Nvidia that...'. Every day it's like 'Nvidia are great, AMD are awful'. I don't know why I bother coming to this site, read the articles, sign into the forum and type out a detailed post on every article about why you're so biased toward Nvidia. Isn't it about time you did some benchmarks on the open source drivers?

[/sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                My God Michael, you're so biased towards Nvidia and their proprietary driver. This is a Linux site and you never do anything about the open source drivers. It's all 'Nvidia this...' and 'Nvidia that...'. Every day it's like 'Nvidia are great, AMD are awful'. I don't know why I bother coming to this site, read the articles, sign into the forum and type out a detailed post on every article about why you're so biased toward Nvidia. Isn't it about time you did some benchmarks on the open source drivers?

[/sarcasm]
                Well, he certainly forgot to mention what a performance wreck and disaster AMD open source drivers are, and that a low-cost GeForce GTX 950 offers much better results.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

Well, he certainly forgot to mention what a performance wreck and disaster AMD open source drivers are, and that a low-cost GeForce GTX 950 offers much better results.
                  Yep, and he also always forgets to mention that nvidia's driver is not compliant with OpenGL standards, and games that optimize for it optimize for non-compliance. Which ultimately -is- the root problem.

Comment

Fiji should support OpenGL 4.1 just like other cards. It's weird the OpenGL core profile didn't work for Michael, but there is almost no difference between the CIK and VI support. Something else must have gone wrong.

Feature-wise, Fiji is missing dynamic power management. Other than that, it seems to be on par with CIK.

Comment

What pains me is that when people talk features all they have in mind is OpenGL numners.

Comment

Working...
                      X