Catalyst Linux Driver Patched By Ubuntu For Linux 4.2 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    I really would like AMD to do well but unfortunately for AMD my brain controls my wallet rather than my heart. Not good enough AMD and you must do better, Nvidia will still keep getting my cash along with Intel.
    And when AMD is gone and you're paying $1500 just for the lowend CPU and GPU, I hope you'll be happy.

Comment

I really would like AMD to do well but unfortunately for AMD my brain controls my wallet rather than my heart. Not good enough AMD and you must do better, Nvidia will still keep getting my cash along with Intel.
      I used to feel the same way -- then I realized that for all intents and purposes, what I do with a PC does not require Intel CPUs or nVidia GPUs. Intel CPUs are blazingly fast indeed but, overpriced for gaming (few games CPU bottleneck hard enough to warrant having to purchase an Intel and those that do do such because they are poorly optimized, fact) and nVidia... I still remember the Fermi disaster.

And, well... AMD APUs >>> Intel APUs, when actually using them as such, as an APU (so, without discrete GPU). No, both Intel and nVidia need to step up their game, in my book. Performance is there but not all of us can afford individual components of their price levels when real world scenario's rarely require the difference between AMD and Intel/nVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post

error 408, brain request timeout.

People need to support the companies that are more open (AMD) and not those that could care less about being open (nvidia).
        Once people buy more hardware from AMD, they can afford to allocate more resources to fix things.
        Quite simple really.
        Why should I if they make inferior buggy products, I care more for what works as I have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with their problems.

If I wished to give to charity I can think of far more worthy causes, AMD is after all a business and not a charity.

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
        I used to feel the same way -- then I realized that for all intents and purposes, what I do with a PC does not require Intel CPUs or nVidia GPUs. Intel CPUs are blazingly fast indeed but, overpriced for gaming (few games CPU bottleneck hard enough to warrant having to purchase an Intel and those that do do such because they are poorly optimized, fact) and nVidia... I still remember the Fermi disaster..
        Hmmm, and I remember the ATI HD4000 or less disaster when AMD dropped catalyst support literally just after stopping selling them so no Xorg support for you matey and the FOSS drivers were very immature at that stage.
        Last edited by Slartifartblast; 13 August 2015, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, and I remember the the ATI HD4000 or less disaster when AMD dropped catalyst support literally just after stopping selling them so no Xorg support for you matey and the FOSS drivers were very immature at that stage.
          ... and I remember when I couldn't run WoW on AA higher than 2x because of a driver bug (yes, closed source, this was on Windows, so, nVidia's own driver) that had been present in the driver for years by that time. No joke. WoW would just completely seize up, infinite loop in the driver.

My example was about the physical hardware itself. Not about the driver. Honestly, if we're talking drivers then I would end up with NEITHER nVidia NOR AMD. Because, well, mouse cursor corruption, anyone? That's been in present in both Windows and Linux for years now, for AMD GPUs. And yes, in both closed as well as open source. The open source was reverse engineered so well, it even managed to clone an ancient bug. :/

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
            ... and I remember when I couldn't run WoW on AA higher than 2x because of a driver bug (yes, closed source, this was on Windows, so, nVidia's own driver) that had been present in the driver for years by that time. No joke. WoW would just completely seize up, infinite loop in the driver.

My example was about the physical hardware itself. Not about the driver. Honestly, if we're talking drivers then I would end up with NEITHER nVidia NOR AMD. Because, well, mouse cursor corruption, anyone? That's been in present in both Windows and Linux for years now, for AMD GPUs. And yes, in both closed as well as open source. The open source was reverse engineered so well, it even managed to clone an ancient bug. :/
            Whatever Mr F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy 3 posts, my cash my choice

Comment

Whatever Mr F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy 3 posts, my cash my choice
              Did I ever suggest otherwise? No, I did not. So, sure, your cash, your choice. gl, hf? Not sure what the proper response there is, really. Enjoy?

Comment

Originally posted by linuxcbon View Post
                Come on, don't be a dumbass.

At least link to relevant information instead. amdgpu is still in development and isn't even usable yet. How about you try to use drivers that exist and work. Obviously your unhappyness is your own fault. Buy hardware that has a working driver (obviously, DUH). That's how linux has been for decades. It hasn't changed. If you don't know that, then you don't know enough to recommend hardware. My recommendation is still either 6870 or r9 280x. Both of them with good working drivers and are fantastic on the desktop and OpenGL performance is "good enough" for now.
                Some links that matter
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The first link shows r600g as of last year, and the second link shows radeonsi as of earlier this year.
                Last edited by duby229; 13 August 2015, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Now when a friend want to try out Linux and he have an AMD card I just say him that Windows 7 is better for him.
                  Just because I know from experience what will happen : the next week he tells me "man Linux cool and simple but it is sooooooo slow in games, I have lags, and white flashes every 5s".
                  I would say -- Something strange going on there. This box with just its quadcore AMD APU (no discrete GPU) can run some high profile titles really well in Wine but, honestly, I can't imagine it running any better in native Windows. The overhead is just too much. Tried Windows 7 once on this box and the OS itself already ran substantially slower than Xubuntu. And that was without even trying to run Diablo III, Heroes of the Storm, etc, etc.

Maybe, in your example, your friend just needs to pick the correct distribution and configure it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    You use radeon driver but show amdgpu... that is not representative on how opensorce radeon driver perform or how amdgpu driver will work, as it lack dpm for Tonga.
                    That article is only there to show current state of the opensource amdgpu driver art... so check it again once dpm is there
                    I know...When will amdgpu driver be ready and give good results ?
                    I dont use amdgpu but radeon (older card) ... will radeon driver be replaced by amdgpu driver ?

Comment

Originally posted by linuxcbon View Post
                      I know...When will amdgpu driver be ready and give good results ?
                      At least once DPM is there, with 4.4 kernel i guess. For dGPUs like Tonga/Fiji i mean.

For Carrizo APU it is already there with 4.2 kernel.

will radeon driver be replaced by amdgpu driver ?
                      No. amdgpu driver goes its way supporting only newer chips GCN 1.2 or later.
                      Last edited by dungeon; 13 August 2015, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X