OpenGL 4.1 Support Now Enabled In Mesa Git For AMD RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Have you ever heard the phrase "Make it work, then make it right, then make it Fast"?
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil -- DonaldKnuth

Hopefully R600 support will catch up and not become abandoned for OpenGL 4. However, once all the major drivers reach OpenGL 4.2.. it should be easy sailing for basically all Linux games, including the AAA ones because I don't think there are any that require full 4.3 or newer yet, except for maybe a stray extension here or there but even then higher GLs are already partially implemented in Mesa and drivers.
    Knowing what happened with r300g (more feature complete than windows driver ever was), I wouldn't worry about this. Really nice having this OSS support directly from AMD.

S.

Comment

Code:
       [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][zanny@skeith ~]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL [/COLOR]
      OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD HAWAII
      OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.7.0-devel (git-1b2b0e4)
      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10[/FONT]
      Woohoo!

Works with the pkgbuild mesa-git repo, so I didn't even have to compile anything. Now I just need to get Bioshock or Metro Redux...

Comment

Good to see radeonsi to 4.1, but now I have two questions to AMD devs:
        1) what is the status of the libdrm/amdgpu? Is it good enough to be merged in time for Mesa 11?
        2) same as 1 but about xf86-video-amdgpu

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          Premature optimization is the root of all evil -- DonaldKnuth
          ... which is why 'make it fast' is at the end of that list ...
          Last edited by CrystalGamma; 30 July 2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know the status of the remaining items in mesa and subsequent RadeonSI for 4.2 and 4.3 support?
            Anyone updated on the mesa Clover OpenCL status, is it looming towards OCL 1.2 support or standing still?

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
              1) what is the status of the libdrm/amdgpu? Is it good enough to be merged in time for Mesa 11?

Thanks.
              There is no kernel released which have amdgpu driver yet... so i guess they will merge missing userspace in the following weeks.
              Last edited by dungeon; 30 July 2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
                Kind of the dream of opensource, do you ever have game or engine developers sending optimizations/bug fixes or is it mostly bug reports?
                It think it's neither. Bug reports are mostly reported by the same people. Just as some developers contribute patches, some users test and report bugs and provide a lot of feedback. There are users who have reported hundreds of bugs. We should have a bug reporter hall of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post

Thanks.
                  1) Yes.
                  2) Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    There are users who have reported hundreds of bugs. We should have a bug reporter hall of fame.
                    And 'bug closer half of fame' - for those that never return to check and close their bugs

Maybe Dr. Zomboss Award

Last edited by dungeon; 30 July 2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

What are the plans about r600? Will they get support for ogl4 for mesa 11 release?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X