OpenGL 4.1 Support Now Enabled In Mesa Git For AMD RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Still a lot missing for r600. I wonder if it's only delayed or will never be supported.
    There seems to be at least ARB_gpu_shader5 patches for r600g (evergreen+) floating around here: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ly/088406.html

Comment

Still, are open source drivers slower than propietary because they arent optimized or could it also be that mesa is slow and has a bad opengl implementation? I just ask because whats the point of implementing all opengl extensions but drivers situation isnt perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
        Still, are open source drivers slower than propietary because they arent optimized or could it also be that mesa is slow and has a bad opengl implementation? I just ask because whats the point of implementing all opengl extensions but drivers situation isnt perfect.
        It's a circular problem, the catch 22 needs to be fixed. That's what mesa is doing.

Comment

Neither. People have just been busy with fixing bugs and adding features to make new games work.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

Neither. People have just been busy with fixing bugs and adding features to make new games work.
            Kind of the dream of opensource, do you ever have game or engine developers sending optimizations/bug fixes or is it mostly bug reports?

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
              Kind of the dream of opensource, do you ever have game or engine developers sending optimizations/bug fixes or is it mostly bug reports?
              Can i quote something old from mesa3d.org In case If anyone asking why mesa drivers are traditionally good at quake:

May 1, 1999

John Carmack made an interesting .plan update yesterday:
              "I put together a document on optimizing OpenGL drivers for Q3 that should be helpful to the various Linux 3D teams.
              http://www.quake3arena.com/news/glopt.html"
              May 13, 1999

May 1999 - John Carmack of id Software, Inc. has made a donation of US$10,000 to the Mesa project to support its continuing development. Mesa is a free implementation of the OpenGL 3D graphics library and id's newest game, Quake 3 Arena, will use Mesa as the 3D renderer on Linux. The donation will go to Keith Whitwell, who has been optimizing Mesa to improve performance on 3d hardware. Thanks to Keith's work, many applications using Mesa 3.1 will see a dramatic performance increase over Mesa 3.0. The donation will allow Keith to continue working on Mesa full time for some time to come. For more information about Mesa see www.mesa3d.org. For more information about id Software, Inc. see www.idsoftware.com. -------------------------------- This donation from John/id is very generous. Keith and I are very grateful.
              Last edited by dungeon; 30 July 2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Still, are open source drivers slower than propietary because they arent optimized or could it also be that mesa is slow and has a bad opengl implementation?
                Are those two things really different? Isn't "not optimized" just an instance of "slow and bad opengl implementation"?

I just ask because whats the point of implementing all opengl extensions but drivers situation isnt perfect.
                When an application wants to do something, it will (usually) try to do it in the fastest way possible. That will often mean using some of the newer extensions (the whole reason extensions are added is to make things possible that were difficult or awkward before). When the relevant extension is not supported, the application will often have a fallback to doing the same thing in a less-direct and thus slower way.

So supporting new extensions is speeding up applications that know how to make use of that functionality. It of course does nothing for applications that don't make use of those features.

Other applications will actually require some of the new extensions to even run.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  I wonder if there will ever be a point where Mesa doesn't play catchup anymore.

just... seriously you guys?

4.2 support is almost here, and 4.5 isn't that far off. Once that's in place then they can focus on optimizing the stack, and don't be too surprised if AMD then throws a lot more weight behind Mesa once Mesa gets into a satisfactory state for their workstation customers. Add in to this that game devs will be able to fix issues (be they performance or otherwise) when the steam machines really get rolling and yeah there will be a point, and it's not going to be far off.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

Are those two things really different? Isn't "not optimized" just an instance of "slow and bad opengl implementation"?
                    Have you ever heard the phrase "Make it work, then make it right, then make it Fast"?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Have you ever heard the phrase "Make it work, then make it right, then make it Fast"?
                      After all that push it in stable git and everything is stable It does not work that way, people push whatever is reasonable, good looking and done. New people on the matter breaking things, until they get up to speed....

That said, your second and third steps (sometimes even first) might not ever happen
                      Last edited by dungeon; 30 July 2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X