Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI-2 is dead, now what?

See this:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia is the only solution for Compiz + 3D apps for another year, or maybe two?

If they can implement the "hack" to let windowed 3D apps and video work under Compiz, why can't you ATI do the same? Since you are so stick to the closed binary blob, why don't you implement this "cute little hack" so we are all happy about the driver and can actually use it and wait patiently until the X.org infrastructure finally upgrade in several other years?

Please seriously consider it, go replacing some x.org system libraries, as long as the desktop will work, I am happy! Just like all the happy Nvidia users! I envy them, I started to regret my buying of my X1900, X1950, HD2900, and now HD4850.

Please do this little hack to gain respect from us royal ATI users! We have been very very patient!

I am the author of ShaderStudioMAX back in the days. I have also been a loyal Linux user for about 2 years. I wanted to contribute to the community. I wanted to make a program like ShaderStudioMAX for Linux programmers to explore the programmable shaders and 3D effects. But the display driver has always been a show stopper for me to do any useful work under my desktop Linux system.
    Last edited by FunkyRider; 04 August 2008, 09:32 PM.

It's so funny that the Compiz is a half broken implementation and no one seems to care about it. Flickering 3D? don't run it! Flickering video? turn off acceleration!

But that's not the solution is it? I again bought ATI graphics based on RV770 GPU because that's a better hardware. You have better hardware now, and make good use of it! Make the driver compatible to 3D desktop even if the desktop implementation is broken, like what NVIDIA has done several years ago!

I am sure a lot more users will be happy about your hardware, a lot more users will be buying them. Because they "work for now!" not "they will work in the (unforeseeable) future!"

Comment

From what I have read from several of the fglrx people, it's not just a "hack"; they would have to rework a major portion of the driver.
      Anyway, this DRI2 business really bums me out. Not everyone uses nvidia cards, and not everyone uses proprietary drivers.

Comment

Exactly, my hope has dropped from "make a clean cut" to "just let it work"

I mean, the DWM in Vista works, the Quartz Extreme in OSX works, why Compiz in X has been broken for several years and it is still going to be broken for another year... So disappointing

People, that's what keeps it from being widely adopted by desktop average joes: the (lack of) eye candies!

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
          Exactly, my hope has dropped from "make a clean cut" to "just let it work"

I mean, the DWM in Vista works, the Quartz Extreme in OSX works, why Compiz in X has been broken for several years and it is still going to be broken for another year... So disappointing

People, that's what keeps it from being widely adopted by desktop average joes: the (lack of) eye candies!
          It was never "broken", but rather "lagging behind".

Comment

I didn't read anything about DRI2 being dropped, just that portions of it need to be re-written to be independent of the memory manager (since Intel is now using GEM but the initial DRI-2 implementation uses TTM), and as a result it is not likely to make the current 7.4 xorg release schedule.

This affects both Intel and ATI/AMD graphics, so I expect there will be some more discussion about this over the next few days.

I expect this would also impact Gallium as well, but the real issue here is that the MM change pushes DRI2 across an xorg release boundary which means it will take longer to get into distros. Not sure if it is feasible to shift the 7.4 schedule to leave room for a modified dri2 implementation -- but if krh thought this could be done quickly then I imagine that would already be under discussion.
            Last edited by bridgman; 05 August 2008, 07:55 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
              Who needs this 3D desktop crap anyways. A desktop is used to work. If you need eye-candy go play one of the boring AAA shooter titles trying to burn out your eyesight with excessive bloom and blowing your machine to pieces with unneeded but "1337 graFX!1!1" lacking what is most important: gameplay and fun ( not a typo... fun... not gun ).

Comment

I'd rather not have Catalyst replace half of my X-Libraries just to get redirected DRI working. Srsly, it's not all that important, 3D-Apps usually run fullscreen anyway so disabling compositing does'nt hurt. The only thing that bothers me is flickering Xvideo (apart from Xv generally not really working). With radeon Xv get's redirected correctly without DRI2, so this should be possible for fglrx too, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Who needs this 3D desktop crap anyways. A desktop is used to work. If you need eye-candy go play one of the boring AAA shooter titles trying to burn out your eyesight with excessive bloom and blowing your machine to pieces with unneeded but "1337 graFX!1!1" lacking what is most important: gameplay and fun ( not a typo... fun... not gun ).
                  People DO have different needs. If I would say who needs boring 2D desktop crap anyways, will that be the right attitude?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                    I'd rather not have Catalyst replace half of my X-Libraries just to get redirected DRI working. Srsly, it's not all that important, 3D-Apps usually run fullscreen anyway so disabling compositing does'nt hurt. The only thing that bothers me is flickering Xvideo (apart from Xv generally not really working). With radeon Xv get's redirected correctly without DRI2, so this should be possible for fglrx too, right?
                    Sure, I might not need to have 3D apps running under Linux at all, but at least let me watch the damn video.

There is a thing called Compiz Video plugin but seems no one gives love to it. I tried very hard to let it work but seems to be out of luck except to manually patch a special built version of mplayer and build the damn ugly thing

Comment

Working...
                    X