X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hdmi problem

Originally posted by Peruna View Post
    Okay... Now I answer to myself.

I managed to get sound. VLC seems to completelly randomly start playing sound bot I managed to get other players to play sound too when I first start playback and then I use "alsamixer -c1" and set that single IEC958 to mute and back to unmute. That is certainly not too handy, but at least I know that problem is not audio data, hdmi wiring or settings in my television.

EDIT:
    And bit more. Scripting does not really help since every time I seek in video I need to switch that IEC958 switch on and off. Maybe I keep using analog audio. Besides this issues seems not to be related to fglrx so we are on from forum category anyway..
    Hello, I have got the same behavior with HDMI. I must play with mplayer or some other players a video / mp3 file and than MUTE and UNMUTE to hear something.

I updated my mythbuntu with kernel 2.6.25 and alsa 1.0.17 but again, no luck. (HDMI works better, but again mute unmute problem)

Maybe their is module parameter (snd_hda_intel) for this problem ? ciao cuni

Comment

Oddly enough, I just compiled 2.6.25.16 kernel and sound is working over HDMI, WITHOUT fglrx. It was running with whatever fglrx is in the /usr area but sound never worked before for me over hdmi when fglrx was not in lsmod.

Comment

That doesn't sound right

Are you sure the fglrx kernel module is not still loading ?
        Test signature

Comment

Just tried again with radeon and radeonhd with the 2.6.25.16 kernel. No sound over HDMI.

I did the new kernel but I never built fglrx for it. So fglrx was not a loadable module. As a result it never showed up in lsmod, before or during X. But, fglrx was still called for in xorg.conf and there is a fglrx_drv.so in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers. I see by the date that it was created the last time I ran the catalyst 8.5 autoinstaller, for my main kernel.

So it seems, that if fglrx is loaded via modprobe and shows up in lsmod, 3d acceleration occurs. But if fglrx is not loaded, a slow 2D version from the /usr/lib area loads. Or does this 2nd one load regardless? Can either of these enable sound over hdmi or is it purely the one located in the /usr/lib area?

Comment

There is a branch in the radeonhd project which includes a single patch to enable audio over hdmi. I don't know if anyone has tried applying to patch on top of the latest radeonhd master (with the new accel code and atombios support) but it's probably worth trying.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
              So it seems, that if fglrx is loaded via modprobe and shows up in lsmod, 3d acceleration occurs. But if fglrx is not loaded, a slow 2D version from the /usr/lib area loads. Or does this 2nd one load regardless? Can either of these enable sound over hdmi or is it purely the one located in the /usr/lib area?
              Just rebooted into main kernel, fglrx is loaded and shows up in lsmod. I then renamed the fglrx located at /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers. Could not start X. My guess is the fgrlx in the /usr/lib area is what allows sound over hdmi.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                There is a branch in the radeonhd project which includes a single patch to enable audio over hdmi. I don't know if anyone has tried applying to patch on top of the latest radeonhd master (with the new accel code and atombios support) but it's probably worth trying.
                brdgman, I did that during our last thread on topic
                Edit: by the way thank you for the directions for that. I did not see them on my own.

The last box there I clipped from xorg.log which had the following line:
                Code:
                (II) RADEONHD: version 1.2.1, built from git branch HDMI-Audio, commit 2fe6021c
                Are there any settings I need to change or should the settings that allow it to work in fglrx work here also? In fgrlx, all I had to do was pick right alsa settings and I haven't changed them since. If you have any thoughts you should probably respond in that thread since its in the open source side.
                Last edited by forum1793; 24 August 2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Hello, I make more tests with my ubuntu 8.04.1 installation.

Without fglrx I can use HDMI without mute and unmute. But the sound is broken. sound, silence, sound, silence. Three seconds rythmus :-)

When I compile Catalyst 8.8 HDMI Audio works, but I have to unmute mute the hdmi device every time.

Are their some hidden audio parameter for the fglrx kernel module ?

I use now alsa 1.0.16 and the kernel from propsed updates.

best regards Christian Neuhold

Comment

I've never encountered anything like this. What media are you playing? Is it possible there is video that is causing stuttering or graphical representation of music such as in xine - audio visualization?

Comment

Hi,

it took me some internet-searches... just 2 hours of, as I must admit
                      But in the end I got sound over HDMI working.
                      For me it was just a parameter given to the kernel-module.
                      So I load my module with:
                      Code:
                      snd-hda-intel enable=0,1
                      As far as I understand, there are 2 sound modules build in. The one responsible for the rear jacks and the one for PCM sound over HDMI. The parameter just enables the PCM one, and disables the other. It was not possible to enable both, as far as my experiments got.

Anyway... this works for me perfectly.

What I can't get to work is the optical SPDIF. Any solutions to this?

Comment

Working...
                      X