No announcement yet.

I Gave Up Waiting On The Water-Cooled Radeon R9 Fury X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't blame you Michael. It's a shame a lot of (major) hardware manufacturers don't send Phoronix hardware samples. I'm much more likely to purchase a device that has been reviewed here than from Tom's or Anand's. Of course, I understand their "linux is less than 2% of the market" rhetoric.

IMO, the Fury X isn't really worth the trouble to review. I would have like to see compute performance, which every review site seems to have forgotten. Otherwise, the blobs for linux aren't ready, and I'm not even sure how many people care about recent or high performance graphic cards under linux.

Michael, where are those instructions on how to install linux on that Intel z3735f stick? Did you have to unlock the BIOS or something? Trying to boot off my UEFI disk on external drive, by pressing enter on the selection, only flashes the screen and asks me to choose the drive to boot from again. Only the windows partitions seem to work.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      You must be Furious! *crickets chirping*.

But in all seriousness, unless you intend to use the GPU on a regular basis, I don't think you need the liquid cooled version anyway. Getting it right now won't do you a lot of good anyway since only Catalyst will get you any results. The liquid cooled Fury is more ideal for people who spend an entire day gaming or rendering something on a regular basis. Even if you run tests on this all day, there is still some downtime, and I'm assuming whatever case you put it in will have sufficient ventilation.
      Fury X is only sold with water cooling, so it's just a detail, as it is the only model available, as like the Titan for Nvidia, it is not available for 3rd party.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        I don't blame you Michael. It's a shame a lot of (major) hardware manufacturers don't send Phoronix hardware samples. I'm much more likely to purchase a device that has been reviewed here than from Tom's or Anand's. Of course, I understand their "linux is less than 2% of the market" rhetoric.

IMO, the Fury X isn't really worth the trouble to review. I would have like to see compute performance, which every review site seems to have forgotten. Otherwise, the blobs for linux aren't ready, and I'm not even sure how many people care about recent or high performance graphic cards under linux.

Michael, where are those instructions on how to install linux on that Intel z3735f stick? Did you have to unlock the BIOS or something? Trying to boot off my UEFI disk on external drive, by pressing enter on the selection, only flashes the screen and asks me to choose the drive to boot from again. Only the windows partitions seem to work.
        I am interested now that I have concluded that there is nothing wrong to prefer computer games as the main media to consume and study, and now that there are games for Linux which actually require punch from graphics card. Also those high end card remind me of "good old times" in 80's when sound cards and graphics card had "old school" soldered electronics and were huge

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Available in Germany as well: https://www.alternate.de/XFX/AMD-Rad...0197?tk=7&lk=7
          Seems like America is just not as high on AMD's priority list as European markets ...

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

Available in Germany as well: https://www.alternate.de/XFX/AMD-Rad...0197?tk=7&lk=7
            Seems like America is just not as high on AMD's priority list as European markets ...
            Friend of mine from Serbia told me yesterday that he can pick the card in about minutes there. He does not plan to buy it, but he saw in some shop PowerColor model for about €800

So it might be just some USA market problem

Comment

Michael, you are doing it wrong.

Supply does not currently meet demand for the R9 Fury X.

But retailers are being supplied all the time. Just stock lasts for minutes so you have to be quick.
              http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/...s/amd/r9furyx/

E.g. Newegg had the MSI R9 Fury X in stock yesterday, between 7:00 and 7:21 PM according to that site.

Comment

Not sure if Micheal care with all of those machines in his cellar But sometimes might better to wait, not sure how that is common on initial but later revisions seems to have fixed high pitched whine:

The new cooler is identified via a chrome-colored Cooler Master logo underneath the front plate, as opposed to a white and teal colored logo used for initial units.
                http://www.techspot.com/news/61213-a...ump-block.html
                Last edited by dungeon; 02 July 2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Maybe Catalyst isn't ready yet, so there's no point in sending a sample which can't be tested.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Not sure if Micheal care with all of those machines in his cellar But sometimes might better to wait, not sure how that is common on initial but later revisions seems to have fixed high pitched whine
                    With all the whining from us forum users I doubt he would be able to hear a water pump
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

With all the whining from us forum users I doubt he would be able to hear a water pump
                      Maybe he does not like to break with tradition, to not have fastest X Radeon... Fury non X also sounds fine, with a blower and let guess 15% slower

Comment

Working...
                      X