catalyst vs open source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

This is 2015 man, even if that particular machine doesn't have internet, just go to a different machine and download it. Even if you were on mars, theres an internet connection.

EDIT: Especially if I was working on mars, I'd be even more cautious to never insert anything I don't trust like manufacturer discs. I mean I want to get back to earth after all don't I?
    You don't trust manufacturer discs, but you trust internet... ha, ha Sorry about that

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

You don't trust manufacturer discs, but you trust internet... ha, ha Sorry about that
      It's because I can navigate amd.com without getting infected. Manufacturer discs are most often used like a bank where they can store all of their malice.

Heres an exercise, make a whole disk image of you OS drive, install from the package manager and then make a new image and md5sum it. Restore the original image, install from the manufacturer disc, then create an image of that and md5sum it. Compare them and then tell me if they are identical. Just a hint, they won't be.

Comment

It's because I can navigate amd.com without getting infected. Manufacturer discs are most often used like a bank where they can store all of their malice.
        Hm, so reason that you don't want AMD drivers on CD, is also because you don't trust what manufacturer put on these CDs? I thought it is only because that those drivers are not up to date

Do you still trust that let say card manufacturer, if you found that their CDs are infected?
        Last edited by dungeon; 23 June 2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Hm, so reason that you don't want AMD drivers on CD, is also because you don't trust what manufacturer put on these CDs? I thought it is only because that those drivers are not up to date

Do you still trust that let say card manufacturer, if you found that their CDs are infected?
          A more relevant question would be which ones aren't? Take Sapphire as a perfect example, they still don't have linux drivers posted for this hardware on their website. Meanwhile the manufacturer disc contains a really buggy OC utility called trixx with no option to not install it. That only applies to windows, but it clearly shows their intentions.

Comment

Meanwhile the manufacturer disc contains a really buggy OC utility called trixx with no option to not install it.
            That is fine in some sense... because overclocking should be reserved for the people who know what they are doing. If everything works fine, your baby may also install it - then overclock it too much and kill the card

Comment

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
              I really don't see the difference, why put Windows drivers there then, and not Linux drivers ?
              I don't think we necessarily post launch-time Windows drivers there either, although I haven't cared for a long time. I just looked and didn't see any. The difference is that board mfgs *do* reliably include Windows drivers on the in-box CD.

Anyways, will ask.

Test signature

Comment

Just checked MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire and Asus support for the R9 380.

No Linux drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
                  Just checked MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire and Asus support for the R9 380.

No Linux drivers.
                  I think reason for that is that Linux is not used much for Desktop, to deserve drivers to be everywhere.

Comment

OK, so my current understanding is that the main Catalyst release for the 300 series is going to be 15.20, with the first build going up in early July (7/7).
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      OK, so my current understanding is that the main Catalyst release for the 300 series is going to be 15.20, with the first build going up in early July (7/7).
                      Huh, i expected some beta today (i mean 6/24) as there will be plenty of Fury Windows reviews today

I don't complain about as i don't have hardware, but anyway just saying... i really didn't expect anything before Windows 10 launch
                      Last edited by dungeon; 23 June 2015, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X