X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Actually, all Intel stuff is APUs, has been since Sandy Bridge. It just isn't called such, but an APU is CPU+GPU on the same chip, and that's exactly what Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Baytrail/Haswell/Broadwell are.
    If you want to describe Intel's CPUs using AMD's naming scheme then Intel is an APU too but it is not, as you said... as Intel does not use that acronym it is called exactly how company decide to call it - CPU still.

Again it does not matter what you put in it, even if someone reinvent Tesla's Electric Car which uses current from the earth + put in there airplane with 10 elephants in it... it is still nothing, but - a car .

If users choose to call it like that it is their freedom... that is why Fiji is GSoC for me
    Last edited by dungeon; 07 June 2015, 02:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Intel CPU is always CPU whatever they put in it is nothing but CPU.
    Actually, all Intel stuff is APUs, has been since Sandy Bridge. It just isn't called such, but an APU is CPU+GPU on the same chip, and that's exactly what Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Baytrail/Haswell/Broadwell are.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Edit: I think I figured the rest out: C-L = Carrizo-L, NNX= Nintendo Project NX. Correct?
    Bingo, it wasn't that hard isn't it

GSOC is really just a joke, where i have in mind Intel CPU is always CPU whatever they put in it is nothing but CPU... and yeah because practice that Fiji has memory on it, it is probably not just GPU anymore, so it deserve better name

With AMD we have CPU; APU, SoC, True SOC and GSOC (something like Graphic Stacked on Chip)

edit: who knows in following years amdgpu driver might easely became amdgsoc
    Last edited by dungeon; 07 June 2015, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CrystalGamma
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Fuji is probably not GPU anymore, but GSOC... C-L + GSOC == NNX
    Would you mind explaining these acronyms? For me, GSOC == Google Summer of Code (I assume you mean Graphics System-on-Chip) and I have no idea for the rest of them.
    I also assume you mean Fiji (aka Radeon Fury, named after an archipelago) and not Fuji (mountain (volcano I think?) in Japan IIRC).

Edit: I think I figured the rest out: C-L = Carrizo-L, NNX= Nintendo Project NX. Correct?

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Fuji is probably not GPU anymore, but GSOC... C-L + GSOC == NNX

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    > New Carrizo Disclosures at ISSCC:
    > ...
    > Integrated Southbridge for the first time on an AMD high-performance APU.

I thought Kabini and Kaveri already had lots of that on the Chip? ...
    Kabini is no high-performance APU.
    Kaveri is no SOC.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    I think Adarion and d2kx need to watch this presentation, one to check affected versions @42:10 and one to learn more about it

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I mean, it works quite fine so far, but probably uses the vulnerable Agesa code (Rudolf Marek at CCC 2014) and Biostar doesn't put updated code online.
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    If you use Debian/Ubuntu: apt-get install amd64-microcode - and it will use newer microcode with each boot.
    I think you guys are talking about different microcode -- Adarion is talking about microcode for the system management unit (which comes with the AGESA bundle) while d2kx is talking about microcode for the AMD64 CPU.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    I mean, it works quite fine so far, but probably uses the vulnerable Agesa code (Rudolf Marek at CCC 2014) and Biostar doesn't put updated code online
    If you use Debian/Ubuntu: apt-get install amd64-microcode - and it will use newer microcode with each boot.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Yes, Carrizo has DPM but Tonga does not yet...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X