For AMD Users, Linux 4.2 Will Bring The New AMDGPU Driver & VCE1 For Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    According to wikipedia 3xx series are OEMs, Fiji will be R9 490/X One never knows with those unreleased products, they have a right and might change naming scheme entirely .
    Ha, ha, i was right... it will not even have a number it seems but will be called Radeon Fury

AMD's upcoming Titan equivalent flagship Radeon graphics card is rumored to be dubbed "Fury". R9 390X to be based on enhanced Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Ha, ha, i was right... it will not even have a number it seems but will be called Radeon Fury

http://wccftech.com/upcoming-amd-rad...p-called-fury/
      Wow!, I looked at that card and my first thought was, "It doesn't seem to have much air flow capacity?".

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        That said, remember that the main hybrid focus is still going to be 3D workstation so emphasis will be on the chips that become FirePro products -- we are continuing to add resources to the all-open stack development efforts for other markets. I think you will like what we are doing.
        Good to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Wow!, I looked at that card and my first thought was, "It doesn't seem to have much air flow capacity?".
          It will not use fan, but probably some new kind of liquid cooler.

Comment

...we are continuing to add resources to the all-open stack development efforts for other markets. I think you will like what we are doing.
            Absolutely. I already like it. But more development power is surely welcome.
            I do not yet have an APU or GPU that would use AMDGPU as basement for the optional hybrid architecture but I will likely have in the futre (Carizzo is supposed to carry some of those GCN 1.2+ chips, right?). I'll probably stay with the free driver but especially in the beginnig that might be helpful if the fglrx blob offers features and performace that the free stack yet has to reach for a new chip generation. In the regard a free kernel part is most welcome since that was sometimes a nuisance with the installation. Also no tainting of kernels anymore. Very welcome.
            For the moment I am pleased how nice Kabini runs already - especially when I comare this with the situation some years ago. The free stack has gained so much ground in that time.

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Carrizo is VI, aka GCN3, aka GCN 1.2 and will be supported by amdgpu.

Don't expect amdgpu hybrid driver support at launch though -- the current Catalyst will be the closed source launch-time driver.
              Test signature

Comment

If I read that correctly Catalyst/fglrx team isn't yet ready for AMDGPU? ;-)

> New Carrizo Disclosures at ISSCC:
                > ...
                > Integrated Southbridge for the first time on an AMD high-performance APU.

I thought Kabini and Kaveri already had lots of that on the Chip? As far as I see it Kabini features an A68 SB on chip (SATA, USB and such things). Or is there more?
                (I wouldn't mind a SuperIO/EC that actually works with Linux / Coreboot... currently there are a lot of them everywhere but the newer generations have no driver and probably use firmware blobs. Though a SuperIO might be a board specific thing, but if one had some that features classic IOs and stuff it should be quite universal unless you need to support batteries and other laptop specific things.)
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Carrizo is VI, aka GCN3, aka GCN 1.2 and will be supported by amdgpu.

Don't expect amdgpu hybrid driver support at launch though -- the current Catalyst will be the closed source launch-time driver.
                  Can you give an approximate timeline for Carrizo on AMDGPU? I've staved off an investment in Intel laptops hoping to get an amdgpu-powered Carrizo this summer ...

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    If I read that correctly Catalyst/fglrx team isn't yet ready for AMDGPU? ;-)
                    More like amdgpu wasn't ready a year ago when support for Carrizo was added to Catalyst.

> New Carrizo Disclosures at ISSCC:
                    > ...
                    > Integrated Southbridge for the first time on an AMD high-performance APU.

I thought Kabini and Kaveri already had lots of that on the Chip? As far as I see it Kabini features an A68 SB on chip (SATA, USB and such things).
                    Kabini yes, Kaveri no... but Carrizo yes.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 30 May 2015, 05:43 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

I thought Kabini and Kaveri already had lots of that on the Chip? As far as I see it Kabini features an A68 SB on chip (SATA, USB and such things). Or is there more?
                      (I wouldn't mind a SuperIO/EC that actually works with Linux / Coreboot... currently there are a lot of them everywhere but the newer generations have no driver and probably use firmware blobs. Though a SuperIO might be a board specific thing, but if one had some that features classic IOs and stuff it should be quite universal unless you need to support batteries and other laptop specific things.)
                      Do you have Kabini laptop? Asking because of bios support, here on AM1 desktop variant i upgraded bios 15 times in last 13 months

Which now sounds i bit too much to me, and i don't see other mb vendors does that... but asus just drop new one nearly every month, maybe not a big issues but they seems to wants to be uptodate on something? Probably agesa, but who knows there is no human readable changelog
                      Last edited by dungeon; 30 May 2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X