For AMD Users, Linux 4.2 Will Bring The New AMDGPU Driver & VCE1 For Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

Can you give an approximate timeline for Carrizo on AMDGPU? I've staved off an investment in Intel laptops hoping to get an amdgpu-powered Carrizo this summer ...
    Carrizo is already supported in amdgpu. In fact it's where most of our development has been focused.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Carrizo is already supported in amdgpu. In fact it's where most of our development has been focused.
      Oh. I suppose I misunderstood bridgman's statements then. So compiling a downstream kernel (at least until 4.2) and Mesa git should provide a working OSS desktop on Carrizo? (Or is Mesa not there yet? I didn't follow the news regarding userspace that closely)

Comment

Oh. I suppose I misunderstood bridgman's statements then. So compiling a downstream kernel (at least until 4.2) and Mesa git should provide a working OSS desktop on Carrizo? (Or is Mesa not there yet? I didn't follow the news regarding userspace that closely)
        Yes. The userspace bits (mesa, libdrm, xf86-video-amdgpu) are also available in temporary public repos (see my amdgpu announcement email) awaiting the kernel changes to land. Once the kernel side lands, the userspace stuff can land.

Comment

The questions I was answering were about "future Catalyst versions", ie the hybrid driver (closed source userspace) not the all-open driver. All-open is there today as agd5f said.
          Test signature

Comment

Yes. The userspace bits (mesa, libdrm, xf86-video-amdgpu) are also available in temporary public repos (see my amdgpu announcement email) awaiting the kernel changes to land. Once the kernel side lands, the userspace stuff can land.
            Great! Looks like I can start looking out for Carrizo hardware as soon as it's announced.

Comment

Great! Looks like I can start looking out for Carrizo hardware as soon as it's announced.
              AMD officialy announced it at Computex

Comment

Any update on Tonga (R9 285) DPM support?

Whatever the answer, thank you for all the hard work <3

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Do you have Kabini laptop? Asking because of bios support, here on AM1 desktop variant i upgraded bios 15 times in last 13 months

Which now sounds i bit too much to me, and i don't see other mb vendors does that... but asus just drop new one nearly every month, maybe not a big issues but they seems to wants to be uptodate on something? Probably agesa, but who knows there is no human readable changelog
                  Sorry, forgot that thread subscription (the new version had it off by default).
                  No, it is an AM1 mainboard (Biostar AM1MHP http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/...?S_ID=696#spec ) with an Athlon 5350 (4x2050). Sadly Biostar is quite lame when it comes to BIOS support. I mean, it works quite fine so far, but probably uses the vulnerable Agesa code (Rudolf Marek at CCC 2014) and Biostar doesn't put updated code online. (Probably it costs them some money to go to AMI or whoever made the BIOS). But it is supposed to be Coreboot compatible (SuperIO is fine, chips supported by flashrom and so on).
                  Yeah, changelogs would be nice but that is typical for a lot of these Taiwanese manufacturers not to write anything about it. At least most vendors today use an in-BIOS flash tool, just add some VFAT media with the new image and there you go. No messing with FreeDOS or even W32 required.

PS: I thought about getting a Lenovo E145 (E1-2100 Kabini, ~11h batterytime, fairly good reviews, matte screen (1366x768 though)) but the keyboard's F1...Fx-keys were strange and I ran out of money and time.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Does Carrizo support include DPM? I'm assuming not, since Tonga doesn't have it.

Comment

Yes, Carrizo has DPM but Tonga does not yet...
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X