Christmas Comes In July For An Open ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built, test, complain, help the devs troubleshoot, repeat

For radeonhd, if you have a 5xx or earlier card and feel up to running the latest X server please build & run latest X, radeonhd, drm and mesa (say 7.1 RC3 or later). If you have a 6xx or 7xx card you just need to build the latest radeonhd code but hopefully 6xx/7xx accel will start to show up soon so you might as well get used to building everything anyways

re: "when will all this stuff show up in distros ?", I imagine the new radeonhd code will make it into most of the distro releases happening this fall (once the next radeonhd release is generated), and kernel modesetting will probably show up first in Fedora.
    Last edited by bridgman; 26 July 2008, 11:41 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

i doubt it's even buildable for a typical user at this point :]

Comment

I guess Tormod's packages will help for Debian-based distros; if you run a different distro that does frequent updates it might be time to start agitating for a new package over the next week or two.

AFAIK the only new twist re: building is that there is a dependency on drm code, but you need that for 3d anyways.

At some point we need to start thinking about DDX, DRM and Meas as one entity released as a set (so you just "update the driver"), but there are both technical challenges and philosophical arguments we need to get through first.
        Test signature

Comment

if you run a different distro that does frequent updates it might be time to start agitating for a new package over the next week or two.
          i'm running gentoo and 3d related packages (mesa, kernel drm, libdrm, dri2proto) are straight from git.

also the driver is from git, but the xorg-server is from standard release (1.4.2), and i hope i can have it stay this way.

Comment

My next card will, without a doubt, be an ATI card. Now I just want to see the support r500 has extended to r600 and r700. Oh, and I really can't wait to see work start on Gallium, too. r500 support is officially terrific now.

Comment

Maybe, but that older cards like rv410 (X700 SE) begin to suck even more than before thats no good sign.

Comment

Well it's probably harder to support oddball cards like the x700 SE b/c it's less likely that devs have them. Which doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done, just means you need to pipe up when things break.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  i doubt it's even buildable for a typical user at this point :]
                  Building everything related to X straight from Git is really easy on the (@Michael) awesome and not the least bit boring Distribution that Gentoo is. Oh how I wish somebody would write an article about Gentoo that does not depict it as boring, ugly and unconfigurable.

Comment

can somebody explain what this freed up code actually does?

Comment

ATI Scaling

This is cool. But last I checked the radeonhd driver didn't support scaling. Once scaling works I can ditch fglrx.

Comment

Working...
                      X