Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man, I'm so glad radeonhd does everything I want it to on my mobility x1300. From the looks of things so far, it's another month, another buildup of hope, and another let-down from fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      xorg.conf modelines... well at least they don't make the xserver crash, but they still dont work. Like I added 1280x960 @ 85 hz and it uses only 60 Hz - like it would without modelines.

Actually ModeLines don't work with xf86-video-ati but they work with ATI proprietary pretty well.
      I'm using 8.6 with such ModeLine with no problems (exactly the same resolution - 1280x960@85) - check that

ModeLine "1280x960" 149.25 1280 1372 1510 1740 960 963 967 1011

(ModeLine generated by xf86-video-radeonhd driver :P - the only that worked like a charm with my setup before they added atombios support - yep - radeonhd after adding initial atombios support refuses to fetch EDID from my AOC 9k+ CRT connected to x1950 PRO AGP card via DVI<->Dsub connector)
      Last edited by reavertm; 21 July 2008, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Well last thing to add:

Even when you patch kernel 2.6.26 support it still does not run with intrepid - because Xserver 1.4.99.905 which is used there is not supported due to undefined symbol miZeroLineScreenIndex. So what did you think you get

@jjjj

The only way to use those debs _are_ on hardy or older, because intrepid is not supported - although the target exists.
        Ok, so I'm running Hardy with 2.6.26 anyways, so it worked for me, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
          (ModeLine generated by xf86-video-radeonhd driver :P - the only that worked like a charm with my setup before they added atombios support - yep - radeonhd after adding initial atombios support refuses to fetch EDID from my AOC 9k+ CRT connected to x1950 PRO AGP card via DVI<->Dsub connector)
          The atombios support is in a separate branch right now -- were you running from master or from the atombios support branch when you had the EDID problems ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
            does it support wine yet?
            Forget wine!!! Does it support linux?!?

HAHA

Comment

Oh man, I don't even want to test that one. I'm staying on 8.5

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                The atombios support is in a separate branch right now -- were you running from master or from the atombios support branch when you had the EDID problems ?
                It was master branch of radeonhd - I used to check it out from time to time. It was few days ago - this driver just for the first time suddenly refused to detect (even grab EDID) from my setup. Xorg.0.log shew some atombios entries, so it looks to me that some atombios code was being included in master branch. Anyway, I see there are frequent commits to this branch all the time so I guess it should work again shortly. For now I've switched to ATI proprietary (8.6, though it's fan control is driving me nuts - still waiting for the Gentoo ebuild for 8.7 to arrive) and using Modeline to set my favourite mode.

What's the best way to contact radeonhd team and give them some feedback about this? Looks like my configuration (Sapphire x1950 PRO AGP, AOC 9k+ CRT monitor, connected by DVI<->DSub cable) is quite hard to detect as radeonhd driver used to be the ONLY that was able to work without Modelines, "Driver" section Options except "norandr" and with no "Monitor" section at all. ATI proprietary doesn't work automagically here - and xf86-video-ati rejects Modelines - so probalby my feedback would help solving some issues.

cheers
                Last edited by reavertm; 21 July 2008, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I think that this release is reasonable. Wine works perfect for me now, the corruption is fixed. Thats all I actually wanted for this release since 8.6 allowed me to actually 'run' some games in wine, 8.7 allows me to run them without virtual desktop on.

EDIT:

Actually, after trying to play some more decent games in wine, I have huge lagging, which I haven't had since many driver releases ago.
                  This is only experienced when using wine, native apps run perfectly. I hope AMD starts to look at its wine support some time soon..
                  Last edited by poofyyoda; 22 July 2008, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Four months after upgrading the kernel and now I have driver that really works,

Comment

Familiar xine/xvideo crash...

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
                      Dammit, X just crashed with XVideo (Xine this time) and Catalyst 8.7.
                      I've found that fglrx/XVideo crash the X server whenever xine reaches the end of a media file during normal playback. The work-around is either to use XShm instead of XVideo, or to quit xine before it reaches the end. This has been true with every fglrx module I've tested so far (up to 8.6, haven't tested 8.7 yet) for the past 12 months.

Comment

Working...
                      X