Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tear-Free Acceleration For ATI EXA, Xv

Phoronix: Tear-Free Acceleration For ATI EXA, Xv

For those of you that have been using the open-source xf86-video-ati driver, need we remind you of its rapidly-improving state and feature set? One of the latest additions to this open-source ATI driver that supports the old ATI R100 graphics cards up through the new Radeon HD 4800 series (RV770) is tear-free acceleration. The current implementation of this tear-free acceleration is for EXA and Textured Video (X-Video) and should eliminate any "tearing" issues that some users experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it mean we'll have a 6.9.1 "tear-free" ati driver pretty soon?

My old Nvidia with proprietary driver displays the most tearish 2d I've ever seen... My next card will be an Ati, no more doubt.

Comment

One of the latest additions to this open-source ATI driver that supports the old ATI R100 graphics cards up through the new Radeon HD 4800 series (RV770) is tear-free acceleration. The current implementation of this tear-free acceleration is for EXA and Textured Video (X-Video) and should eliminate any "tearing" issues that some users experience.
      That sounds like there is already EXA and Xv support for the R7xx series. But that's not true is it?
      I had to read this part 3 times before I understood it correctly

Comment

Sounds like the radeonhd devs are losing groung in what seems to be an internal developer's competition of who will bring out the cooler driver.

Anyone cares to remind me why we're having two open working drivers again?

Comment

As somebody who tried to get Xv and other things working in the fglrx bad-old-days, I read the title as, "Tears-of-frustration free".

J1M.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
            Sounds like the radeonhd devs are losing groung in what seems to be an internal developer's competition of who will bring out the cooler driver. Anyone cares to remind me why we're having two open working drivers again?
            This patch (and radeon itself) handles four generations of cards which radeonhd does not support. We are trying to keep largely common acceleration code between radeon and radeonhd anyways, so I don't think there is any competition here.

Check out the "quick & dirty 2d" branch of radeonhd and let us know what you think.
            Test signature

Comment

Awesome! As soon as this code hits master I'll switch back to radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                We are trying to keep largely common acceleration code between radeon and radeonhd anyways, so I don't think there is any competition here.
                I see, but then what is the reason for having two drivers? they should merge, or separate completely (up to 600 managed by radeon, the upper by radeonhd).

Comment

The cleanest cut would probably have been between r500 and r600, so all <=r500 would have been supported by radeon (as the r500 and the previos Radeon Chips share much acceleration-code) and everything >=r600 would have been up to radeonhd. But at the time radeonhd was started it was about supporting the Radeon-Chips which were not already supported by radeon then, and thus they started working on r500.

Comment

Yeah -- if you look at the display controller then 4xx/5xx is the logical split, but if you look at acceleration then 5xx/6xx makes a lot more sense.

The radeonhd initiative was driven by the need for modesetting support, while the post-4xx radeon work was driven by the need for acceleration support. We hope the two efforts can pull together over time. I suspect that once we reach a common understanding on requirements, priorities, design / coding practices and the importance of things like kernel modesetting the rest will be easy
                    Last edited by bridgman; 16 July 2008, 04:23 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X