Tear-Free Acceleration For ATI EXA, Xv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nphoronix View Post
    And yeah, I was asking about the state of the open source drivers, since ATI doesn't seem to want to fix it anytime soon. From what I remember, the R600 3D documents should have been handed in by now, right?
    Bridgman should be one of those working on it... he should know at what point they are

Comment

• The first two passes through IP review for 6xx/7xx documentation failed. I can't really go into the details because that would kinda defeat the purpose of keeping some stuff secret, but potential risks were raised which we did not have answers for at the time.

I believe we have worked through all of those issues now and I am going to kick off another review pass this week.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        The first two passes through IP review for 6xx/7xx documentation failed. I can't really go into the details because that would kinda defeat the purpose of keeping some stuff secret, but potential risks were raised which we did not have answers for at the time.

I believe we have worked through all of those issues now and I am going to kick off another review pass this week.
        How long lasts one of these reviews ?
        One week, one month ?

Comment

The first two passes through IP review for 6xx/7xx documentation failed. I can't really go into the details because that would kinda defeat the purpose of keeping some stuff secret, but potential risks were raised which we did not have answers for at the time.

Thats interesting. Thanks for working so hard on this documentation. I'm glad to see progress is still being made.

Comment

• Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
            How long lasts one of these reviews ?
            One week, one month ?
            That's hard to predict. Depends on the issues, and whether, for example, there are things like third-party interests involved.

Some of these things can take a long time only to find they can't be fixed, especially where there is third-party involvement. I was involved in one where negotiations went on for a year before the other side decided they didn't want to play, during which our own project was on largely on hold pending resolution.

They offered an NDA that would have let us continue to develop pending resolution of release issues, but if we didn't get permission in the end that effort would have been lost and our devs tainted by exposure to the source so we declined and put the devs onto other projects. After awhile I got fired^h^h^h^hlaid off because without the project I didn't have a function.

It would have been cheaper to develop an independent solution, but the lawyers kept telling us an agreement with the other was imminent. I now believe they were just stringing us along in an attempt to get us to abandon the project. It worked.
            Last edited by rbmorse; 24 September 2008, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
              That's hard to predict. Depends on the issues, and whether, for example, there are things like third-party interests involved.

Some of these things can take a long time only to find they can't be fixed, especially where there is third-party involvement. I was involved in one where negotiations went on for a year before the other side decided they didn't want to play, during which our own project was on largely on hold pending resolution.

They offered an NDA that would have let us continue to develop pending resolution of release issues, but if we didn't get permission in the end that effort would have been lost and our devs tainted by exposure to the source so we declined and put the devs onto other projects. After awhile I got fired^h^h^h^hlaid off because without the project I didn't have a function.

It would have been cheaper to develop an independent solution, but the lawyers kept telling us an agreement with the other was imminent. I now believe they were just stringing us along in an attempt to get us to abandon the project. It worked.
              MMh let's hope it won't be that crappy...

Comment

so... let's just hope.. right? or you think it will be possible that this time it will be ok?

Comment

• I think chances are good that this will be the one, but I don't want to sound too confident and jinx things. We've been a couple of weeks away for quite some time now
                  Test signature

Comment

• At least there will be some R6xx/R7xx support already at the time the documents are being released. The CS-branch of RadeonHD looks like it'll be merged to master anytime now, too (can you comment on that one, bridgman?).

Comment

• THe CS branch is basically a clean up and reorganization of the command submission code that was inherited from radeon. It's not specific to any particular chip.

Comment

Working...
                      X