RV770 Support Added To RadeonHD Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, at least the problem is clear -- the kernel module is not initializing properly so you are not getting any acceleration. The following line is where things seem to go wrong :

Not sure if that is an installation issue or system configuration issue but let's try some simple things first. Tried downloading your motherboard manual to check for BIOS settings but it's going very slowly so will ask you to look instead... any settings like "Remap memory" or "Enable memory over 4GB" or something ?

Sorry, couldn't find anything like that in the BIOS.

Maybe there is something I did wrong in the xorg configuration? If I do :

$ glxinfo |grep 'direct', I get:

direct rendering: No
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

Comment

As long as you are running a stock x conf file there shouldn't be any problems there. Which distro are you running and how did you install the driver (ie use the installer directly or build a package for your distro and install that) ? Guessing you're running the 64-bit OS build ?

Easy way to know if it's a memory / sbios issue would be to power down and remove 1 or 2 GB of RAM for a test. All the usual cautions about static protection, of course, (ie go get some tinfoil ).
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        As long as you are running a stock x conf file there shouldn't be any problems there. Which distro are you running and how did you install the driver (ie use the installer directly or build a package for your distro and install that) ? Guessing you're running the 64-bit OS build ?

Easy way to know if it's a memory / sbios issue would be to power down and remove 1 or 2 GB of RAM for a test. All the usual cautions about static protection, of course, (ie go get some tinfoil ).
        Hey bridgman, thanks. I' running Debian Etch. I first built a package then installed.

Honestly I'm surprised that you'd think it's a RAM memory issue, AFAIK, nobody has reported problems using this mobo, which by the way can support 8 GB. So, to resume, I remove one slab and leave the other slab in place, reboot, then, am I expecting DRI to work? If is that easy I will try and post. Thanks

Comment

Just to be clear, I don't think it is a problem with your RAM, just the fact that the mobo sbios often remaps some of the 4GB (the part where you have to make a hole in the address space for things like IO and video card memory) up above 4GB, and there seem to be a lot of issues with how that remapping being done. I don't know exactly where the issues are and haven't had time to really drill down with the developers, but what I have seen is that updating the system BIOS to latest available seems to fix a lot of these problems.

Some mobo sbioses have an ability to disable remapping but your board either doesn't have that option or it is hidden (do you have hidden options behind alt-F1 by any chance ?).

Removing 2GB eliminates memory remapping issues as a potential problem -- if it works, we know to focus on memory remapping, and if it doesn't work, then we can focus on other things. Either way we learn something.

Redeeman, I don't know what the situation is with Windows drivers and >4GB but will ask. Linux has been keeping me plenty busy, and I only have 2GB in my home system
          Last edited by bridgman; 14 July 2008, 11:25 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Gigabyte uses Ctrl-F1 for extra settings.

Comment

Whoops... thanks !
              Test signature

Comment

Thanks for the BIOS tip, kano. Well I found the option you were talking about, bridgman: enable memory over 4GB. It was set as enable memory under 4GB. So I tested the option "enable memory over 4GB" and when X server started, I got a total crap in the screen. only grayish lines. Control+alt+backspace could not restart X server. So I had to use the power button to switch off the pc. I reverted to the option "memory under 4GB" and was ok. Then I removed one slab of memory, as you suggested and started. According to this, there is no DRI:

~$ glxinfo |grep 'direct'
                direct rendering: No

I am puzzled. When I type:

~$ fglrxinfo
                display: :0.0 screen: 0
                OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
                OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.1)

It's strange that there is nothing like "ATI vendor" stuff.
                Is this normal or maybe the fglrx driver loaded may not be the one from ATI but from a debian repository? How could I know this is the right ATI driver, and not any other?
                The info I have for this fglrx-driver is:
                version 8.501-1
                Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators
                Video driver for the ATI Radeon and FireGL graphics accelerators.

This version of the ATI driver officially supports:
                * RADEON X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900
                * RADEON 8500, 9000, 9100, 9200, 9500, 9550, 9600, 9700, 9800
                * RADEON X800, X700, X600, X300 series (AGP and PCI Express)
                * MOBILITY RADEON 9000, 9200, 9600, 9800, X700
                * MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP Series
                * FireGL 8700, 8800, E1, E2, X1, X2, X3, Z1, T2
                * MOBILITY FireGL 9100, T2

Caution: This software driver provides only 2D support for the
                ATI RADEON 9100 IGP and ATI RADEON 9100 PRO IGP.

This package provides 2D display drivers
                and hardware accelerated OpenGL for X.Org 1:7.0.0.

So, there is nothing about HD3xxx chips or cards. What do you think? thanks.

Comment

For debian you can run:

My script currently installs 8-6, if you plan to use wine use:

-v 8-5

as option.

Comment

Solved!

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    For debian you can run:

My script currently installs 8-6, if you plan to use wine use:

-v 8-5

as option.
                    Kano. Chapeau. Thanks a lot for your script. All went perfect! I stopped breathing for a few seconds when I saw the message: building package for ubuntu-edgy (since Iam using debian-etch, I dont know how it came to work, though)

:~$ fglrxinfo
                    display: :0.0 screen: 0
                    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
                    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7659 Release

Now I have direc rendering

~$ glxinfo |grep 'direct'
                    direct rendering: Yes

I checked the CPU % use by xorg. I dragged a window making circles in the screen as fast as possible, and xorg used up to 70% of CPU. Not bad when I compare to 100% in the previous setting.

Thanks a lot again. I highly reccomend your script. great job kano.

PS> Oh, I just forgot to use the option you mentioned. Yes I want to run wine, so I guess now will have to re-install wine or something like that?
                    Last edited by Maxei; 16 July 2008, 11:05 PM.

Comment

You don't need to reinstall wine - you only have to change driver if you get corruptions with wine.

Comment

Working...
                      X