A few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions.

Hi, I'm on gentoo64 and I just got a X1650 (RV535) card from recomendations here : http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10982

Now I'm a software developer myself, so I dont mind getting my hands dirty, but there's a few things I was wondering about.

1 : Is there any way to get tvout + pal working on my card? Running current git of the radeon driver I get:
    Code:
    (II) RADEON(0): Skipping TV-Out
    And xrandr shows nothing interesting, ripping out the part in the code that disables it, I can see s-video showing up, and it detects resolutions, but enabling them does nothing (some flickering on tv + main monitor).

2 : Is there a mirror of xorg git? I've been trying to build git xorg-server+mesa+xf86-video-ati for 2-3 days now, and it always screws up somewhere. Right now I can't checkout git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xcb, I get "fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly" when I try. I'd really like to get compiz working, and I'm fairly sure I can do so without problems if I can only get the code

3 : Can I run a framebuffer + working (with compiz) X without difficulties? It's something I couldn't do with my nvidia card, I tried compiling in support for everything and rebooting, but the FB didn't kick in, it worked on my R200 card, did I miss something or should this not be working?

1. re: tvout, we're still having trouble getting tvout working with the new display controllers (X1xxx and up). We're focusing on 6xx/7xx 3d right now; probably will dig deeper into tvout in a month or two

2. mirror of xorg/freedesktop git - haven't heard of one

3. re: framebuffer do you mean the vesa driver or something like radeonfb ? radeonfb doesn't support the newer chips and most of the FB stuff is going to be replaced by kernel modesetting "as soon as humanly possible"
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      1. re: tvout, we're still having trouble getting tvout working with the new display controllers (X1xxx and up). We're focusing on 6xx/7xx 3d right now; probably will dig deeper into tvout in a month or two
      Is there any experimentation I can do myself to get progress here? I've been a software developer for years, but the only lowlevel work I've done is on filesystems.

2. mirror of xorg/freedesktop git - haven't heard of one
      I've put the nvidia card in now, and I'm gonna keep it until I can grab the latest xorg :P

3. re: framebuffer do you mean the vesa driver or something like radeonfb ? radeonfb doesn't support the newer chips and most of the FB stuff is going to be replaced by kernel modesetting "as soon as humanly possible"
      Didn't even occur to me to use the vesa fb, it completely screws up nvidia's driver (think it was graphic corruption or something, I remember ruling that out as an option ages ago ), but if it works it's plenty for my usage, I was only looking for a slightly prettier bootup screen

Thanks a lot for the help

Comment

Working...
      X