Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-ati 6.9.0 RC2 Driver Released

Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 6.9.0 RC2 Driver Released

Twelve days after the first xf86-video-ati 6.9.0 Release Candidate, the second RC release is now available for testing. Since xf86-video-ati 6.9.0-rc1, the man page has been updated, a ShadowFB R600 fix, PLL tweaks, a possible fix for VGA on ATI IGP chipsets, warning fixes, cleanups, and other work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about 3D support for R500+?..

Is it in this git, or there is another "experimental" branch?

Comment

Originally posted by mityukov View Post
      What about 3D support for R500+?..

Is it in this git, or there is another "experimental" branch?
      That's in Mesa/Mesa and Mesa/DRM branches. xf86-video-ati is the DDX driver.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well what surprises me is that it already runs Compiz better than fglrx (there's nearly no flickering and I can move video players *with* the video that is being played) for me...

Comment

VIA

This is a bit off-topic, but can we please get some coverage (and 2nd opinion ) on VIA's latest source patch on linux.via.com.tw ? It seems to be something about support for *chrome in DRM or whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            That's in Mesa/Mesa and Mesa/DRM branches. xf86-video-ati is the DDX driver.
            Isn't MESA contains software rendering implementation?..
            (and I had problems some time ago, when glxinfo reported "Mesa", that meant I didn't have DRI with fgrlx).

Where can I read more about it?

Another question: what uses Compiz in the article author's system? I heard there isn't AIGLX support yet, in the open-source drivers.

( http://phoronix.com/forums/showpost....02&postcount=1 )

, at least with "stable" xserver..

P.S.: it would be really helpful for me to read an article, explaining all this MESA/AIGLX/DRI stuff for dumbs ;-) Has anybody a link?

Comment

the radeon driver (part of xf86-video-ati) has had AIGLX for ages according to wikipedia (which also has other answers for you):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_3D)

edit: Mesa link was to the disamiguation page... d'oh!

Comment

Mityukov, if you want to actually see and touch the 3d drivers :

- go to http://gitweb.freedesktop.org

- scroll down a bit to mesa/mesa and click on it. That will give you a "Summary" page showing recent changes, recent tags (eg this point is release 6 RC2) and recently used branches

- click on "tree" - this will show you the actual source code, about 1.1 million lines IIRC

- navigate down to the HW drivers by clicking on src, then mesa, then drivers, then dri, then r300 (code for R3xx, 4xx, 5xx)

For drm, go back to gitweb.freedesktop.org, scroll down to mesa/drm, click on "tree", then "shared core" and you will see driver files for all the different supported asics.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Mityukov, if you want to actually see and touch the 3d drivers :

- go to http://gitweb.freedesktop.org

"Ask Phoronix members to give you a "link for dumbs" and they'll send you to GitWeb!" ;-)

10x anyway, I'm not as skilled in C but I think I will be able to read at least .h files..

btw, it's now clear for me that Mesa has both software (basically for referencing) and HW implementations.

Another point, that I got, is that Mesa acts as a "core" for opensource DRI drivers.

Do I have any progress? %)

> xf86-video-ati is the DDX driver.

DDX -- means basically 2D?

.. what then about these recent articles:
                  * Open-Source ATI Driver Achieves 3D Success
                  * Gaming With The Open-Source R500 Driver
                  etc?

Why they refer to Driver (not to HW branch of Mesa)?

Comment

btw, it's now clear for me that Mesa has both software (basically for referencing) and HW implementations.
                    Not a hardware implementation but the following

Another point, that I got, is that Mesa acts as a "core" for opensource DRI drivers.
                    > xf86-video-ati is the DDX driver.

DDX -- means basically 2D?
                    DDX refers to the X driver, not the mesa or kernel component
                    It has 2D and 2D acceleration, and initializes DRM and DRI

.. what then about these recent articles:
                    * Open-Source ATI Driver Achieves 3D Success
                    * Gaming With The Open-Source R500 Driver
                    etc?

Why they refer to Driver (not to HW branch of Mesa)?
                    #1, it's simpler and shorter, do you think they'll say something like: R600 3D in users/somedev/my-reaaaaaaaaally-long-branh-name
                    #2, there are 2 r500/600 drivers at the moment, radeon and radeonhd, radeon has better support for 3D, and more support for more cards

Comment

Working...
                    X