Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which gfx card with 3D acceleration to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    If you are running with an X1650 AGP you may be happiest with the -ati (aka radeon) driver today, assuming that you feel up to building the entire stack - the x driver (-ati), drm, mesa and x server. Ubuntu 8.04 is pretty new but not quite new enough to get full 5xx open source support.

I imagine you were using the -ati driver with the 7500 ?
    Yes. And 7500 outperforms the x1650. It was supposed to be an upgrade not downgrade I'll try the ati driver, but if it is still just crap I'll reinstall the 7500 and get one fan less in the computer.

Is there any easy way to do the building in ubuntu?

Comment

That doesn't sound right. Both cards have 128-bit memory buses, the 1650 has faster clocks, and the 1650 is 4 pipe vs. 2 pipe for the 7500. It's not quite that simple of course (a 7500 can do 3 textures per pipe per clock, for example) but on balance I think the 1650 should still be noticeably faster.
      Test signature

Comment

That doesn't sound right. Both cards have 128-bit memory buses, the 1650 has faster clocks, and the 1650 is 4 pipe vs. 2 pipe for the 7500. It's not quite that simple of course (a 7500 can do 3 textures per pipe per clock, for example) but on balance I think the 1650 should still be noticeably faster.

Yes, i agree with you on this... i think there is another problem that is not diagnosed.

Originally posted by oblidor View Post
        Yes. And 7500 outperforms the x1650. It was supposed to be an upgrade not downgrade I'll try the ati driver, but if it is still just crap I'll reinstall the 7500 and get one fan less in the computer.

Is there any easy way to do the building in ubuntu?
        yes, if you go to the wiki pages for installing the driver. and will you please reply to my previous post, because it will be key in speeding up the x1650's performance... the performance problems could be that you are not running the fglrx driver, and other factors also play a role in this.

Comment

Not hardware-wise, but due to that the driver is bad. When I look at a DVD with x1650 it looks similar to if you look at scaled graphics that is not antialiased. It has large jagged lines on contours. It also lags while playing the DVD. This never happened with my 7500 so it must be driver problems. I tried the xserver-xgl. This solved the antialias problem, but was extremely slow.

Comment

1. Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian unstable (switched to Ubuntu just two days ago. Used Debian for 10 years)
            2. Radeonhd after trying fglrx. fglrx I tried from debian package and ATI package in Debian. In ubuntu I tried restricted fglrx pacakge. No luck
            3. AGP card (8x) Asus A7V8X-X mobo, 1.7Gb Ram, Corsair 650W PSU (temporarily will go to a new computer), AMD Athlon XP 2400+, LG 1440x900 LCD (is the widescreen a sore point for the driver?)
            4. xorg.conf I have tried to change from empty to more advanced, but I can try again with fglrx and send it. I used the aticonfig tool. xorg log files I cannot because when fglrx crashes teh system nothing gets written to the log files. It really crashes the machie I have to hit reset button
            5. I'll check but I dont think anything gets written to system log either.
            Here is the syslog when I started the machine with fglrx:

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Here is xorg.conf

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

No Xorg.0.log file is generated.

If I use the ati/radeonhd driver running vlc watching a DVD will result in 50-60% load of Xorg and ~30% load of vlc.

Here is syslog when using radeon:

and Xorg.0.log

and Xorg.0.log for the ati driver:

Xorg.conf is the same for the radeonhd and ati as with fglrx. Only difference is that I change the driver to radeonhd or ati.

Comment

OK, I think I see what's happening here. The drm initialization is failing, so most of the acceleration code is not running.

You're using the drivers from Debian/Ubuntu packages, right ? Right now the distro packages are all too old to properly support a 5xx card, with the sole (AFAIK) exception of updates-testing for Fedora 9. That should change over the next couple of months; it's just that significant 5xx support only really finished a few weeks ago.

You're either going to need to build the drivers from source, or the "edgers" packages might work for you. User "tormod" had been helping folks get those running, apparently with pretty good success.

You'll need the radeon (aka -ati) driver, drm, mesa from master plus a very recent x server. If it's only the other recent mesa changes which require a new x server then I'm thinking we should try to back port the 5xx support into an older version of mesa which would work with older xservers, making life a lot easier for the distros to provide upgrade packages.
              Test signature

Comment

OK, I think I see what's happening here. The drm initialization is failing, so most of the acceleration code is not running.

You're using the drivers from Debian/Ubuntu packages, right ? Right now the distro packages are all too old to properly support a 5xx card, with the sole (AFAIK) exception of updates-testing for Fedora 9. That should change over the next couple of months; it's just that significant 5xx support only really finished a few weeks ago.

You're either going to need to build the drivers from source, or the "edgers" packages might work for you. User "tormod" had been helping folks get those running, apparently with pretty good success.

You'll need the radeon (aka -ati) driver, drm, mesa from master plus a very recent x server. If it's only the other recent mesa changes which require a new x server then I'm thinking we should try to back port the 5xx support into an older version of mesa which would work with older xservers, making life a lot easier for the distros to provide upgrade packages.
                I also tried now the fglrx from ATI according to the wiki recipe, but no luck.

I see. So when the drm is working it will solve the problem and I don't get the 50-60% CPU load of xorg while watching a DVD? Edgers is like Debian unstable for Ubuntu?

Comment

When drm is working it will definitely change performance and CPU load. I don't know much about edgers (I had to search on Google to find out what it was ) but it appears to be a build & packaging service that runs directly off the git masters rather than specific releases.

Here is tormod's guide :

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=23
                  Test signature

Comment

When drm is working it will definitely change performance and CPU load. I don't know much about edgers (I had to search on Google to find out what it was ) but it appears to be a build & packaging service that runs directly off the git masters rather than specific releases.

Here is tormod's guide :

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=23
                    I tried the live CD trick. compiz seem to work. However I cannot check any DVDs because totem and ogle crashes with a BadAlloc. looking at a video at youtube with adobe flash again makes Xorg use 50% CPU. So it seems the new ati driver is improving the situation, but is still to unstable... I think I'll have to wait for it to become more stable...

Comment

I tried the live CD trick. compiz seem to work. However I cannot check any DVDs because totem and ogle crashes with a BadAlloc. looking at a video at youtube with adobe flash again makes Xorg use 50% CPU. So it seems the new ati driver is improving the situation, but is still to unstable... I think I'll have to wait for it to become more stable...
                      Got it to work!!!! Adding the Option "EXA" to xorg.conf solved it. I hadn't seen that note...

Now I have to test it in the real system...

Comment

Working...
                      X